Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to do a follow-up on the results of Mike G's "improved" "m" type expander. For those that are not familiar with the topic, please see the thread,"custom handloading equipment" by Mike G. Also tech notes, "m-proving" the "m" die"
I was interested in having a one peice expander "made up" for the .348wcf case. Following Jack Monteiths recommendation, i purchased a Lyman "m" die for the 50/90 Sharps case through distribution. I then sent Mike G measurements to what i felt expander dimensions should be. Mike had dimensions already in mind.(we used his)  He machined the one peice expander using his 3-step theory (see the tech notes article) What i wound up with, is an expander die, that when in use, allows the case to literally and effortlessly center itself as the press ram is raised. Bullet "pull" appears to be excellent. The final "step" expands the case just enough to allow seating jacketed bullets without shaving. (dimensions where used, with the understanding that i would not be using cast bullets, other dimensions could be used to accomodate cast bullets). Over-all, workmanship is excellent! I will be contacting Mike again to see if he can make up another expander, this time for the .45LC in an RCBS expander body. Mike,if you are reading this i did make one minor change to the expander..............I blued it! Gave it the "Redding" look!
Scott in Vermont

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,228 Posts
Scott... thanks for the kind words.  If you can post a picture, I would be curious to see what it looks like blued!

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
I too, just received an improved "M" type expander assembly from Mike.  Excellent workmanship, and precise dimensional tolerances throughout!  Mine is for .38-55/.375 calibers, and is actually a four step expander plug.  I'll be reporting on it's use, as I've been greatly under the weather lately, but the .375 H&H Ackley is going to get some extensive testing this spring with high-velocity cast bullet load development, and this die is absolutely perfect in all ways for that project!

Many thanks Mike!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Beartooth Regular
7,776 Posts
Hi, Guys:
    One thing I overlooked earlier.  The short die body is marked M-1 and the long die body is marked M-2.  What's the .50-90 die  marked as?

Glad to help out with this project.

Bye
Jack

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jack,
The 50/90 body is an "M-2A". It accommodates the .348 nicely.
Thanks again,
Scott

1 - 5 of 5 Posts