Shooters Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
two cylinders of factory lrn in 38 special, 14 total shots, and the forcing cone and section inside the frame is roughly a business card thick layer of lead.

three passes of a bore brush with a patch on it cleared out the rest of the barrel just fine as it was mostly unburnt powder. But that first half inch section, jesus Christ... chore boy wrapped on a bore brush is barely touching it. and I have about 2 feet string of chore boy wrapped on it.

·
Super Moderator
13,161 Posts
A product I've found useful for leading problems is NO LEAD made by Wipe-Out's maker, Sharpshoot'r. Applied to lead and allowed to sit for an hour, it converts lead to a compound that patches out easily. I've been able to clean lead out of bores, forcing cones, chambers and barrel/cylinder gap splatter off of guns with it.

The old Foul Out electrolytic cleaner also worked, but is obsolete and no longer supported. In the "old days" we used to plug the bore and fill it with mercury. After about 15 minutes the mercury would form a friable amalgam with the lead that brushed right out, but the brush bristles splattered mercury everywhere in tiny droplets and mercury is not something you want to eat by mistake.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts