Shooters Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I correct in assuming that the only way to achieve extreme accuracy in an AR style automatic rifle besides handloading is to have one of the round aluminum forearms (handguards) which is designed to free float the barrel? Is there any way to achieve the free float mode in these rifles with the standard type handguards? My AR will shoot very good groups (it has the standard hardguard) but only if you take the handguard off, and rest the weapon on the magazine recess with the handguard removed and no magazine. I cannot seem to match the aforementioned accuracy with the handguard in place no matter where or how it is held. This is shooting from the bench of course. Comments? Thanks guys...........:confused:

·
Inactive for over a decade
1,398 Posts
None to my knowledge but if someone were to come up with such a solution can be sure would sell. I've only done some very informal testing with my results pointing to the free float handguards as being well worth the investment. When I converted several from direct impingement operation to gas piston operation was left without free float handguards. My solution was too build my own and after that adventure will only use the Yankee Hill Machining handguards because of there one size barrel nut which fits all there handguards. Other vendors I found have there own versions which are not interchangeable sometimes even with there own handguards.

What you did by removing your handguards is basically what the free float handguards do -- put all pressures back on the receiver with barrel completely floated. Whatever improvement in accuracy you experienced is what you could expect by using the free float handguards.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Absolutely. They have been around for decades. Rock River sells a National Match free float tube that free floats the standard looking handguard but still maintains the service rifle look so it is legal to use in NRA Hi-Power competition. It is a very slick set up and they sell for about $125 including handguards and free float tube. Here is a link. It comes with tube, handguard, gas tube, barrel nut, delta ring, and forend cap. Here is one on a Woody I just did and this barrel is 100% free floated.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.