Shooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new here. I'm trying to find 'rebuild' bushings for my old Forster Bananza single stage press. It has developed quite a 'hitch' as I start to pull down on the handle...I'm assuming the bushings are finally whipped. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks-Craig

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,014 Posts
Get ahold of www.brownells.com and see if they can't help you or tell you where to find the parts. Not sure my Co-AX has bushings in the rams. Look like they merely go through holes drilled in the cast press body.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,885 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply. As I said I'm new here and was unable to locate my thread after I posted it...so I just reposted a similar thread, and my original popped up...oh well. I guess I should further examine the press and see if it actually has wear bushings. What if It doesn't have wear bushings? Is It a 'throw away'? I'd hate to think so...Thanks Again

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply, I tried their site first and didn't see anything for older stuff...I'll try again

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,014 Posts
Your original post was moved from the "Reloading Practices and Procedures" forum to this one, "Reloading Equipment" as you are asking about reloading equipment. Your second post in the former forum has also been deleted by a Moderator because of the duplication.

Always preuse the various forums to find the one that most closely will relate to your item of discussion. If the administration feels it will more properly fit in another forum than what is posted, it will be relocated. The original post may be found by merely clicking on the previous post in the original forum - you will automatically be directed to the new location.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Is it the guide rods that are loose in their frame bearings, or the linkage pins in the handle or linkage arms?

If it is the guide rods, my co-ax's is not bushed, but it is < 5 yrs old.

If it is the linkage pins, the handle yoke, pins and/or linkage arms are replaceable, but Forster may want you to ship it back to them to fit the replacement parts.

·
Super Moderator
13,322 Posts
Any part can be replaced, including frame castings. If it is an old Co-ax, then you might be interested in asking them the price for upgrading to the taller yoke they now have for accommodating longer cases, if that interests you? In any event, I would call first and describe the problem. They may or may not need to have you send it in for service?

·
Registered
252 Posts
The Co-Ax's new, taller yoke accommodates longer dies (e.g. tall micrometer dies, etc), but does not change the ram travel, so case length capacity is not changed.

Andy

·
Super Moderator
13,322 Posts
You are correct. I made a logical leap there: being able to accommodate longer dies meant being able to work with longer cases; not that the throat capacity changed. The main limitation of the old yoke was the press throat already accommodated longer cases than the yoke would allow dies for in all instances. In particular, this applies to specialty dies like the micrometer-adjusted seaters. The old yoke had less than 1/8" clearance over my Redding .30-06 Competition Seating Die, and that was with the head turned in to produce standard length cartridges for gas guns. Turning it out to seat a bullet near the throat of some chambers might not have been possible. Using that die or one or its Forster counterparts for .300 RUM would have been out of the question, even though the press throat has no problem accommodating the .300 RUM.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the help, I don't think it is a co-ax or has guide rods. I is a simple cast iron single stage 'O' press...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have had no luck, meantime I've picked up a new Lee Challenger, which is a joy to use compared to the Bananza with that annoying 'hitch'

·
Super Moderator
13,322 Posts
I wonder if you could send the old press to Forster (they bought out Bonanza long ago) for repair?

Nothing wrong with the Challenger, though you'd probably be ecstatic if you'd been able to get the Classic Cast single stage. Keep the Challenger's ram lubed so the aluminum journal doesn't wear. 30W lawnmower engine Motor oil is perfectly good as way oil in most applications, and this is one of them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts