Shooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody run across the Forster Tap-O-Cap kit that you use for making primer caps for Black Powder shooting in their local gun stores? I found that midsouth shooters has them for 17.53 + 7.00 shipping, Forster has them for 28 somthing plus shipping. Was gonna order from midsouth shooters (clarksville TN) but they have a 40.00 min order. I have tried all the shops in a 60 mile radius and most of them have no idea what I'am even talking about. Ifin somebody could find one for me, would be more than glad to get a money order in the mail to them. I found 4 packs of caps in Ralphs (chain food store ) its the only place that had any. Came-a-part (k-mart) clerk had no idea what I was talking about (young kid). Guess the gun control thing in Calif has gotten worse than I thought.

Thanks Gun Runner

·
Registered
220 Posts
gun runner,
I see Marshall's article got to you too ! I bit the bullet, and ordered mine thru Mid-south. I'm sure you can find something else that you need, to meet the $40.00 minimum. Or you can make the smaller purchase, and be charged a $5.00 small order fee. Your choice, but I know how you feel.
As for caps, Wall Mart carries the American West brand, that Marshall reccomends. I looked all over myself in Md., and Wall-Mart was the only one that carried any caps.
This is a neat way for self-sufficient people to make their own musket or muzzle loader caps.
Jeff

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jeff, thanks for the reply. Guess will just have to find something else their to get what I want. Dont like the Idea of just giving them an extra 5.00. As for the caps at Wal-Mart, wife has a Drs. appointment in Sacramento on monday and their is a Wal-Mart right on the way, so guess will stock up on some caps. The ones I got at the grocery store were made in China (isant anything made in the USA any more?)but they should work well enought, just want to make sure I have a good supply of everything I want and need, before CALIF decides to make me have to register my double barrel Slingshot. Their already talking about getting Black Powder guns registered. I figger ifin I can make the caps and can make my own B/P I will still be able to shoot for a while. Gonna bring up the Real Estate web and start doing some serious looking in another state.
Thanks again for the reply

John aka Gun Runner

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, I broke down and ordered it from midsouth. But wasant gonna give them 5.00 for free. Final total including shipping 50.26. Picked up 100 cases for 7mm mauser to load my daughters 7x57 mauser she comideered(sp) from me. Guess was bout time the old military brass getting a bit worn. Now to sit and wait for it to get here so I can play with it. Only have about 400 lbs of soda cans, mabe I can get some of the caps to work right.
Jeff, hows this thing working for you?
Latter

Gun Runner

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tap-O-Cap

Well things are going to H___ in a hand basket in Calif. Stopped at Wal-Mart in Roseville Ca. to try and find some caps. Asked a employee if they had any, her reply "we dont carry caps or cap guns, they cause violence with the children" This is while I am standing next to the Gun counter and a man is buying a .22 rifle for his son, a boy of about 11, or 12. Guess its back to the grocery store, maybe they have more, if not gonna have to drive to Reno (100 miles) and buy them their.
Oh well back to the real estate ads.

Gun Runner

·
Registered
220 Posts
gun runner,
When you receive your Tap-o-Cap, you will be impressed with the quality and ease of operation. It's fun to use. Neat little gadget. Sorry to hear about the hard time obtaining caps. I too was surprised at how tough they can be to obtain.
Jeff

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've got one that I haven't used for a long time. (No I don't wish to get rid of it at this time.)
The Tap-O-Cap itself worked great, my problem was with the quality of caps that I found. They were too weak, even with 3 or 4 at a time to be reliable.
I have not tried it for quite some time, I was working with the 4-H Shooting Sports Club then and haven't shot a muzzle loader since. willie

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tap-O-Cap

While it finally got here. Only took a couple of extra days as UPS coundent find my house. (Sub. driver, he just dint bother to go to the end of the road). Well got the 7x57 brass just about ready to load, daughter asked when it would be ready. Maybe should teach her to reload, as son in law dosent have time. Soon as I get the 7x57 loaded can start cranking out caps for the B/P guns. This is another item thats getting hard to find in Calif. as distributors only want to sell in 10,000 quanites. That would last most small gun stores 5 or so years. Couple of the B/P clubs buy that many and sell to members at cost. Just another of Big Brothers Gun Grab tactic's in Calif.

Gun Runner

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just joined so I hope this goes right. I used the tap 0 cap back in the eighties with great sucess. Never had more than one or two misfires. Lost my unit and replaced it in 03 but all I can get in the great white north are pistol caps made in China. They do not work. I have put three in at once and zip. A friend of mine said he crushed the white off the ends of matches in a bit of water, made a slurry and applied it into the caps, he claimed sucess so I went down to buy some Eddy matchs and all matches are coming in from China. Has anyone any ideas on how to work around this safely. You can save a forture on caps if you can make your own. Some one out there must have an idea. Good luck to us.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Gunrunner,

You could have ordered direct from Redding/Forster!

For practical purposes, use the paper caps if you want, but you will find they compound in them is corrosive! Commercial percussion caps use the same non-corrosive compound as cartridge primers from the same maker. Why would you want to impose the additional cleaning hardship of a corrosive priming compound? The residue will get into everything and require much more thorough cleaning to avoid damage to your gun than if you just use proper percussion caps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
tap-o-cap

hello everyone,i just found and registered here while looking for the tap-o-cap. unfortunately midways site says its discontinued by manufacturer. can anyone offer alternatives? while im on the subject of powder anyone know of a puchout tool for b.p. wadding?

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
The plastic ring caps will work, just cut the individual caps off the ring. They fit a percussion nipple just fine, no need to cut up beer cans to form caps. Any of the toy caps are a very poor substitute for real percussion caps. They are weak, prone to misfire and VERY corrosive. I understand the desire to be self reliant but you're still reliant on the toy caps which, though cheaper, are not much more readily available. Your best move would be to get a flintlock.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Gin runner,
I use to live in Stockton and know what you mean. I retired from state service and moved to Alabama. What a culture shock! You can get anything here, i.e. extended mags. They even have TV commercials for gun stores. I perchased a revolver here, gave my money and filled out the paper work. The owner made a quick phome call the the FBI hot line. I walked out of the store five minutes later, with the revolver! No waiting period like in California. They don't tax you to death here like Calif. You can thank all those liberal politians. Getting back on the subject, have you tried Big 5 Sporting Goods? Hope you escape soon!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts