Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks, here is a message from Alex Stanton. As some of you are aware we have occasionally run out of bandwidth in the last couple of days of the month. Here is Alex's message regarding that, advertising, and forum upgrades:

Hey guys, sorry I don't spend much time on here, but wanted to check in and give you an update with some changes we just made and plans for the not do distant future.

EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY: BANDWIDTH HAS BEEN PERMANENTLY INCREASED BY 200%. NO WORRIES ON USAGE, LET'S SEE IF WE CAN HIT THE NEW MAX BECAUSE WE HAVE MORE HEADROOM IF NEEDED!

I will leave it up to the team here to decide how to post this information to the rest of the board members. We do not want people feeling like they can't or shouldn't post for fear of running up the bandwidth. We have plenty to spare at this point and we want to keep the images, information & long winded posts going for years to come!
  1. New Ad: We've never had advertising, but due to rising hosting/bandwidth costs we're trying out an ad supply company, they provide advertising from various companies and give us a small amount for the space. Depending on the quality of ads/vendors we may or may not keep them around. Please post here with any concerns or questions related to the new ads. This whole concept is on probation as far as I'm concerned. We will be recycling any money earned from the ad back into the site in the form of server upgrades, programing, licensing, facilities, etc.
  2. Upgraded vBulletin Software: Around the first of the year we will be upgrading to the newest vBulletin V4 software. Any other additions/feature wishes pertaining to the forums please let me know about, we might even want to create a thread here we can track as a wish list.
  3. Redesign: With the new version of vB we'll also be doing a simplified redesign with less graphics and simpler, cleaner navigation.
Alex Stanton

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
With the new additional bandwidth, the issues of previous months where we ran out of available transfer are over! Too, when it comes to posting your photos in posts on the forums; PLEASE USE THE PHOTO POSTING FEATURE OF THESE FORUMS!!! We WANT your photos hosted here, on the ShootersForum servers for a couple of reasons. First off, many of our old archived threads, excellent, informative, and instructive threads don't have photos available any more, simply because the pictures were hosted on another server, either photobucket or another of the many photo hosting websites out there, and either the accounts associated with those photos expired or were closed by the host, and consequently, we have excellent threads on these boards with no photographs. If those photos were posted using the photo posting feature of this forum, the photos would still be available for viewing, and the information would be complete.

PLEASE, PLEASE, use the built in features of this forum, and post your photos on ShootersForum servers!

Too, you will notice, as Alex has outlined, the addition of advertising on the forums. It is indeed a provisional thing, and we will be evaluating the impact of the advertising on the use of these forums, as well as the appropriate nature of the advertising displayed relative to the theme and spirit of these boards. The advertising hopefully will work out in a positive way, and help defray in part the expense of providing these forums to our loyal users. Too, upgrading and enhancing this website is not exactly free maintenence.

Beartooth Bullets hosts ShootersForum.com and all its related expenses. The forums are in fact, one of our largest non-production expenses of our business. At Beartooth Bullets we have not raised our prices one penny since June of 2008. Virtually all of our expenses have increased, some of them exponentially, yet we know our customer's discretionary income hasn't increased, but in most cases has decreased with the current economic conditions in our country. So, instead of raising our prices, we are simply working longer hours for a smaller bottom line. We are also cutting expenses, and being fiscally responsible, while at the same time never compromising the quality of our product.

Many faithful forum members have asked how they can contribute to make continuation of uninterrupted service of the forums possible. We gratefully, and heartfully appreciate those offers! It has even been suggested to make the forums a paid subscription service! However, with the addition of advertising on the boards, and loyal customer support of Beartooth Bullets, these forums should continue to remain free as they always have operated in the past. It would be nice however, when discussion of appropriate cast bullets for given applications arise, that Beartooth Bullets might enter into the equation somehow. I read many of the threads and see links to virtually all of our competitors without a single reference to your host company! So, if you would like to help support ShootersForum, with Christmas approaching, perhaps a Beartooth gift for your shooting friends or relative is in order; perhaps a Beartooth Hat, a Technical Guide, maybe a Lapping Kit, or some bullets for their favorite smokeless pole!

Thanks to all for your patience, and we're looking forward to seeing the ShootersForum continue to grow!

God bless

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,133 Posts
Thanks, Marshall, Alex and Mike - we members really appreciate your efforts in keeping the board up and running. As you can tell from posts, we're really lost when the board goes down. :eek:

Don't mind the commercial advertising one bit. We'll make sure all future advertising is referred to you before being allowed, as our normal present practice.

Ken

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
It's all good. And yes every chance I get I mention Beartooth Bullets to the point that the owner of Missouri Bullets said he was going to name his first wide meplat bullet the jmortimer "Double -Wide" after me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts