Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a formula for the solution for the foul out somewhere but can't find it now. It was with some descriptions on how to make a foul out. Did anyone else see this or am I just imagining it. I've been searching for it for about an hour and can't find it, my luck it's on this forum. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Dan
 If you want to take copper out of a bore using the foul-out method  use PLAIN kitchen grade ammonia. NOT tke kind with any additives in it.
   If you wat to removce lead you have to se a mixture of ammonium acetate and lead acetate.
  I dont know what the amounts are.You would be bettere off buying the stuff from
Blount Inc Onalaska WI. 54650
  tbc

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks caster, I think I will just buy the regular lead out. I like to make my own when I can but this seems like it's more trouble than it's worth.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,229 Posts
The Lead-Out and Cop-Out solutions that I have are lead acetate and copper acetate (don't know if I spelled that right), respectively.

Don't mess with homemade Foul Out solutions, unless you have a degree in chemistry.  Wrong ingredients or slight contamination, especially by rust, and it will severely pit the bore when used with the Outers Foul Out product.  Not worth it.

I know that people have soaked barrels with ammonia solutions for years to deal with copper fouling (this is discussed in Phil Sharpe's Complete Guide to Handloading, pre WWII), but I have no experience doing this.  There are a number of ammonia-based copper removers on the market and I buy a bottle of Sweet's every 6 or 7 years or so.

<!--EDIT|MikeG|Feb. 28 2002,23:51-->

1 - 4 of 4 Posts