Shooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a Winchester 1886 (New) XL .45-70 for ~$900. Pretty good deal from what I've seen in town, and on line.

New thoughts from my previous thread, "Marlin vs Winchester"...Thanks for all the advice.

The Winchester 1886 XL looks to be a tapered barrel, like the 'sporter' taper from what I understand, and it could accept the .45-90 too, right?

1) The .45-90 is a 2.4" case, and to load it myself I have seen dies for .45-90 win & .456-90 sharps. Are they the same brass/chamberings?

I will not cut the barrel right away, need to wait a bit, but am doing all the research right now. My plan is to shoot 350gr-500gr (405gr mostly) and figure the longer brass will be lower pressures, with stronger/flatter loads (safer?) than the .45-70 would normally go. Is this good or bad thought process??

2) I've found brass that is 2.6" long at really resonable/better prices than 2.4" in Denver.
a) Is 2.6" the equiv. of a .45-100?
b) Can 2.6" brass, and COL be run through an 1886?
c) Smokeless? or BP only? I'm Smokeless.
d) Whats the best way to cut the brass down from the 2.6" if .45-90 is the max COL w/o lots of smithing?

You all have been great. Thanks for the help.

Dan

·
Registered
512 Posts
The best way to do it is to buy .45-90 brass from Starline. I load my .45-90s to average 2200 FPS for both new and original Winchesters.:)

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
You have a very fine rifle as is. I would shoot the rile as is before cutting the barrel or deciding on rechambering - at least that way you will know how it performed as a 45-70.
For deer the 457122HP Gould bullet is hard to beat. If you want or need more penetration one of Marshalls bullets will perform beyond your expectations. For a good test of the rifle and cartridge 20 pieces of brass will allow you to reload many test rounds. When the velocity and recoil increases 20 rounds is plenty. The Model 1886 lightweight has a very good balance, try it out a bit with the longer barrel.
When you are ready the 45-90 will a whole new world to explore.

·
Registered
488 Posts
You have a very fine rifle as is. I would shoot the rile as is before cutting the barrel or deciding on rechambering - at least that way you will know how it performed as a 45-70.
For deer the 457122HP Gould bullet is hard to beat. If you want or need more penetration one of Marshalls bullets will perform beyond your expectations. For a good test of the rifle and cartridge 20 pieces of brass will allow you to reload many test rounds. When the velocity and recoil increases 20 rounds is plenty. The Model 1886 lightweight has a very good balance, try it out a bit with the longer barrel.
When you are ready the 45-90 will a whole new world to explore.
I agree. I would have bought that gun @ $900 in a heart beat. Been looking for one myself for awhile.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mike, can you list some of your loads that approach the ~2200 fps, so I can reduce and replicate?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now its a.45-90

Bought the reamer, and worked out a deal with Colorado School of trades to cut the chamber.
The action is 'buttery slick' thanks to John Littlefield, one of the Schools Managers, and I loaded some rounds for it.
The Maruko 1886 xl will cycle upto 2.84" C.O.L. cartridges, not the 2.88 or 2.85 listed in many sources. I emailed Doug Turnbull who said 2.75". I played with some dummy rounds for feeding, and if you "rack it" fast and firm, you can cycle 2.84".
I have I-3031, but the extruded powder is long and bulky. Cant seem to load upto max of 67gr, w/o it being complressed. I also have I 4198, and RL-7. gonna play with those. Compressed rounds, bad juju.

I'll post more when I have some data. Chrony, groups, etc. My twist 1:20, so I will try 400,405 jacketed, and OT 405 cast. Looking for ~2000fps to ~2200 fps. Kind of like getting kicked by a horse.

350gr may be the way to go, not seating as deep in the shell. Any thoughts on crimping?
I have a Lee Factory Crimp .45-70, but does not crimp the edge of the shell, down about .3-.4", Imagine that :). The case is 2.4 vs. 2.1" long.

I have read that some say to leave the case expanded, to center the round in the chamber, thoughts?

Dan

·
Registered
31 Posts
Bought the reamer, and worked out a deal with Colorado School of trades to cut the chamber.
The action is 'buttery slick' thanks to John Littlefield, one of the Schools Managers, and I loaded some rounds for it.
The Maruko 1886 xl will cycle upto 2.84" C.O.L. cartridges, not the 2.88 or 2.85 listed in many sources. I emailed Doug Turnbull who said 2.75". I played with some dummy rounds for feeding, and if you "rack it" fast and firm, you can cycle 2.84".
I have I-3031, but the extruded powder is long and bulky. Cant seem to load upto max of 67gr, w/o it being complressed. I also have I 4198, and RL-7. gonna play with those. Compressed rounds, bad juju.

I'll post more when I have some data. Chrony, groups, etc. My twist 1:20, so I will try 400,405 jacketed, and OT 405 cast. Looking for ~2000fps to ~2200 fps. Kind of like getting kicked by a horse.

350gr may be the way to go, not seating as deep in the shell. Any thoughts on crimping?
I have a Lee Factory Crimp .45-70, but does not crimp the edge of the shell, down about .3-.4", Imagine that :). The case is 2.4 vs. 2.1" long.

I have read that some say to leave the case expanded, to center the round in the chamber, thoughts?

Dan
With that velocity and recoil you will need to crimp your brass or load them one at a time, the bluet will move under recoil and will cause all kinds of problems.

Exblaster

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm using a .45-70 Lee Factory Crimp. Seems to be crimping 0.3" low. (imagine that) anyone know of a better crimp method to use for a longer case? LOVE the Lee's, but no 4590 crimp made. I tried backing out the crimp die, but I think that it's just apples and oranges. Feedback?

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,137 Posts
The way the Lee factory crimp die works, backing it out won't help. You'd need to add .3" of material to the collet. That's probably impractical considering what they cost.

I'd contact Lee and see if they could make a longer collet for you

·
Registered
85 Posts
" You're a little late to this here party ! "

Story of my life! :eek:

But the NF and Punch do away with crimping concerns and they are VERY effective on big stuff.
I also use NF in my .405 WCF when needed.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
" You're a little late to this here party ! "

Story of my life! :eek:

But the NF and Punch do away with crimping concerns and they are VERY effective on big stuff.
I also use NF in my .405 WCF when needed.
If they wanted 45/90 specs just load 500 grainers to 1600-1700 fps. COAL with the longer nosed ones is about the same as 45/90's seated in a 45/70 case.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I’m even later!

I was actually wondering why they didn’t stack washers over the case for the fcd to register on, that’s what I’m planning once my 45-90 brass gets here.

Terry

·
Registered
85 Posts
"Compressed rounds, bad juju."

Sez who? SOP with some DG loads in my .405 WCF and 4590. I do light them off with Federal Mag Match primers and that do make a difference. :)

Just depends on your objectives and a little bit on knowledge of powders and primers. :rolleyes:

They are all fun.
====================
Someone mentioned 2200 fps MV - perfect for the 300 grain Nosler .458 PP in 4570 and 4590. One of my fave bullets for thin skinned gave - plain devastating it is.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts