Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I found one the original Kimbers in 270 Winchester in a Dallas gun shop.
It had a jeweled bolt with a french fine line checkering. It had a new 22" 270 barrel that had an 8 groove rifling.
The original owner most likely shot this rifle at the bench because it looked like new except for the barrel. My guess was that some of the first Kimbers were not good shooters, but my smith scoped this barrel and said it looked like new. The trigger feels like a jewel at a crisp 2#
Would anyone know what barrel that might be? Again, its an 8 groove. I don't think Shilen or Douglas makes one.
Its got the Kimber integral rings and bases. Going to put a good scope on it, probably a Ziess. If it doesn't shoot, I'll re-barrel it. The action says Model 89DGR, just wondered if anyone knows anything about these.
If it shoot, I'll post some pics, because it really is a beaut!

Attachments

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,730 Posts
Pretty sweet. Get some pig blood on it!!!! :D

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,135 Posts
Swap ya a Swede for it, Tom! :D

·
Premium Member
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Swap ya a Swede for it, Tom! :D
I got a swede or two
I'm reading up on the Kimbers now to try an find out a little more about them.
Looks like there were accuracy issues with a few of them when they first came out, but this one has a new stiffer after market barrel that I am looking forward to shooting.
Ho! Ho! Ho!

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,135 Posts
Alright - since you're gonna be hard nosed, maybe a 6.5-06? :p

·
Premium Member
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright - since you're gonna be hard nosed, maybe a 6.5-06? :p
No need to re-barrel. I shot it today. Had some 130 grain accubonds that produced excellent groups.
I pronounce the rifle "A KEEPER"

·
Premium Member
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Shawn,
How are you?
This is the last week-end coming up, so I'll probably plug a doe or hog with this rifle.
Our season has been lousy with all of the acorns but next year will be better. Meanwhile, the hogs should start coming in in a few weeks.
I've been thinking about booking a Blackbuck or Axis hunt in late January or February, I need to shoot something and its a long time until the next mule deer hunt.

Is there anything left to hunt up there?

·
Premium Member
7,606 Posts
Hi tpv; doing fine. Coyotes, chukars, and wolves...oops, scratch that last one!

Hope you break in that new rifle properly!

I'm looking at taking my Namibian hunt this spring (April/May) if I can get the details worked out with the outfitter.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,730 Posts
We ought to have a bumper crop of pigs, come spring... :rolleyes:

I'll see you up there at the lease.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts