Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stopped by the local shop Friday after work to put some money down on my friends new Marlin XL-7. After getting a reciept for it I started working my way around the shop checking things out. That's when it happened.

There sitting on the counter being checked into the books was a 3 screw unaltered 4 5/8" barreled 41magnum Blackhawk in 90-95%condition. There was very little wear on the end of the barrel's edge and not much wear any place else. I picked it up, fondled it, removed the cylinder, replaced it, thumbed back the hammer and squezzed the trigger. Crisp and clean at about 3 pounds. I was in heaven.

Needless to say, despite the price of $495, I figured it was too good to pass up. I have NEVER seen a 3 screw 41 Magnum for sale and I wasn't passing it up. Now all I have to do is figure out how I'll pay for it over the next few months.

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
its no worry bandit.. heck i ll just shoot a check off today so you won t have to worry.. you did say 4.95 right..:) enjoy you new gun bud. slim

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Maybe It Was Mine

I bought that exact same pistol(NIB)in 1972 if memory serves. It was one of the first pistols that I ever owned. I shot factory ammo out of it and killed several hogs with it at Hunter-Liggett military reservation in southern Calif.

I owned it for 10 years or so then got the itch for "bigger and better" so traded it for a Super Blackhawk.

Congrats---great find. i would gladly have paid that amount for that pistol,just to own one again. Brings back some great memories. ENJOY !! -----pruhdlr

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ran the serial # thru Ruger's website and it was made in 1968.

I think you have the decimal point in the wrong place Slim. LOL.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My father's 41 mag also has a hole drilled in the top of the frame. He has a very old early model Tasco pistol scope/mount on it. His 41 is a 6.5" barrel and has not had the tranfer bar installed.

·
Registered
281 Posts
sorry in advance for tangent on the OP thread, but I would like an explaination as to why the 3 screw is more valuable than the latter blackhawks.

·
Banned
502 Posts
Do you havea picture of the 3 screw 41?

Thanks,

Jerry

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sorry in advance for tangent on the OP thread, but I would like an explaination as to why the 3 screw is more valuable than the latter blackhawks.
It's more valuable because of the limited numbers of them made in the 41 magnum, and the even smaller number of 41 magnums that haven't been retro-fitted with the transfer bar set-up.

It's like finding a mint Winchester model 100 in 284win. A lot of 308 model 100s were made, but 284 chamberings are much harder to find.

·
Banned
502 Posts
Thanks, I havea Single Six 3 bolt in 22 Mag/22LR with a 9 1/2 inch barrel, maybe I should get out and take a picture of it for this thread.

Jerry

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
your gonna love your new blackhawk I have one and I love it mine is also 4 5/8 it has a 4 digit serial # and is 95%
That's a very early one. the Serial# on mine is around 15,000. Is your gun a flat top?

·
Banned
167 Posts
You have to buy them when you see them. Years ago, but well after Ruger stopped making them my BIL, and I stopped at a tiny gun shop. There in the case was a Ruger Hawkeye handgun. Well, we argued, and kidded each other a bit about who had seen it first since the price on it was$60.00........... yes, you read that right. Anyway, we got distracted with other things, and left the shop. A half mile down the dirt road I stopped, looked at my BIL, and said D..n one of us, or both of us needs to buy that Hawkeye. When we got back there, another guy was just paying for it......... Glad you bought the .41!

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mine is in the mid 10K range. I can't find the serial lookup I used when I bought it, but I think that it was made in 1968 like yours, bandit.
Go on Ruger's web page and look for the link to the manuals and serial number page. That's where you can trace the year of MFG.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You have to buy them when you see them. Years ago, but well after Ruger stopped making them my BIL, and I stopped at a tiny gun shop. There in the case was a Ruger Hawkeye handgun. Well, we argued, and kidded each other a bit about who had seen it first since the price on it was$60.00........... yes, you read that right. Anyway, we got distracted with other things, and left the shop. A half mile down the dirt road I stopped, looked at my BIL, and said D..n one of us, or both of us needs to buy that Hawkeye. When we got back there, another guy was just paying for it......... Glad you bought the .41!

I wasn't looking to buy another gun, but the price and condition were too good to pass up. Years ago I passed on buying a New Winchester model 70 featherweight in 6.5x55 for $450. I still kick myself over that one.

·
Banned
39 Posts
I had one with the 6.5 barrel that I traded for a Remmington 760 .270. I've been trying to get it back for 30 years.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
In the last couple months Ive latched onto a couple three screw Rugers. First one was a holster worn .30 carbine. Ill be looking for replacement walnut grips for it soon enough as the original ones that came with it had a home brew checkering job. Got it for $150.00. :D Its a really nice shooter.

Second one is a 4 5/8th inch in .357 magnum. I had a pair of Rosewood factory grips that fit in place of the ugly rubber stocks someone put on it. Its got a little wear on the end of the extracor and nothing else. Paid $375.00 for it and love how it shoots too.

I like the three screw as much as I like the transfer bar guns I guess. All great if you ask me. Wouldn't alter a three screw though, too neat the way they are.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,915 Posts
Have the 3-screw .41 mag 6 1/2" bbl, all original, no top strap holes and ser #04-038xx. Have taken a near record mtn. lion with it (missed book by 3/16"). An heirloom to pass on to the grandson.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts