Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally brought home a new Marlin 444 tonight.

My infatuation with the 444 began in the 80's as a kid reading one of the gun rags. Having a Marlin 60 and being a Remington fan, I just had to have a 444 although I didn't really know why.

Fast forward to 2010ish. I decided I had the funds to buy a new 444. Come to find out, Marlin is bought out and Remington isn't making any 444's. I decided to go ahead and buy a 45-70. It has been a great gun, but still waiting for the 444.

I know, why not buy a JM 444. Way better. Because $$$$$. Besides, I am still a believer in Remington.

So I have been waiting and finally found a new one at my not so local gun shop while picking up some tractor parts.

Pictures will follow in a couple of days when I go through it with a little closer inspection and cleaning. Shooting will be a while off as I still need to finished tinkering with the 375.

At least that is one more off the bucket list.

·
Registered
801 Posts
You're gonna love that gun. Marshall Stanton has some great technical articles on the triple-4 on this site.

Best,
Dan

·
Super Moderator
3,799 Posts
Good choice

The .444 is a classic cartridge and I really like it. My Marlin .444 rifles came off the used gun racks a few years ago. All the best...
Gil

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pictures

So, I pulled it out of the box and cleaned it up last night. It was pretty heavily oiled and the inside of the barrel was really dirty. It cleaned up pretty nice, just surprised how much gunk was in there compared to what I am used to.

The action operates smoother than any of the other new Marlins that I have purchased in the last 9 years out of the box(5 total including the 444). Trigger has no creep, but is not light. Heavier than most bolt actions I have, but not horrible. I need to buy a trigger gage some day, but weight has never been a deciding factor for me. Can't tolerate creep in a trigger.

Anyway, I am pretty excited to finally have a Marlin with 444 on the barrel. Sorry my pictures are not the greatest. The lense on my phone appears to be damaged. I was also surprised how much difference there is between the 444 and the 1895 action. I never really paid any attention in the past, but there are a few difference.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
i luv my 444. its a tc encore in 23" MGM heavy factory barrel with a 2-7x leupold. i have settled on a 300gr fn gc(saeco) thats goes 1624fps. i have only shot 3 deer with(60+/- yards, 25-30yards) the 300gr but it outshines 250 penta hp, 255 keith, 275gr ranch dog, 280gr lfn and wfn, 265gr hornady fn(all were going 1800-2300fps and they made a mess out of deer).

i wish you luck on the new 444!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts