Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Franchi A48 (steel receiver) Older model around 1970 just before the AL48.
Problem is a FAILURE TO EJECT! This shotgun works fine with high velocity shells, I set it up for light loads to shoot trap, I am using 1 1/8 shot at 1200 fps.
It extracts but just does not eject the shells, not occasionally always. My brother has the same model and has the identical problem.
Has anyone had this problem? If so how did you fix it?

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
A little more oil on the mag tube may get the job done. But be absolutely certain to remove the excess oil before using a more powerful load, or damage may occur.

Clean the exterior of the mag tube if you've not done so yet.

·
Banned
88 Posts
Not sure if this is the problem but there is a ring(brass colored if I remember correctly) that is directional specific to using low brass or high brass. Sorry, but I don't know all the correct parts names of the gun but I will try to explain how to get to this ring. If you have the gun operation manual, you should be able to find this info. Remove the forend, don't let the recoil spring to fly out, and at this point you should see the brass ring around the magazine tube and slip it off the tube. I can't be sure which way the ring should set for each type of brass, but it just turns over for each. If need be, I will dig out my manual and find out the directional patterns. Hopefully this corrects your issue. Good luck!

·
Registered
7,810 Posts
I agree with Shotgunner that it's likely that the friction ring is set up improperly. The system is nearly identical to the Browning A-5's system and the ring gets reversed for light vs heavy loads. The pictures here are black & white from the manual, but the ring in question is brass colored IIRC.

Light loads first, heavy loads second. The friction ring is the ring closest to the recoil spring and reversing the way it faces increases/decreases the amount of friction needed to function correctly.

One last note; when you reassemble the forend onto the SG, be sure to push the barrel down enough so it at least begins to enter the receiver before tightening the end nut. Failure to do this will also cause the gun to jam.

I decided to disassemble my 48AL and show the rings. I was incorrect and the "friction" ring is not brass, but silver colored. Whichever way it's now facing, I'd recommend sliding off and reversing the way it's facing.

Attachments

Reactions: nsb

·
Registered
98 Posts
Make sure you clean the whole gun including the bolt return spring and assembly in the stock. Also lightly lube the gun including the outside of the magazine tube with a good oil like CLP, FP-10, or Militec.

These are not Winchester "Universal" shells that you are having issues with?

With any Long Recoil operated gun, always start in the heavy setting with a new load. If the gun cycles, leave it there. If not, set it in the light setting and try again.

When shooting trap I set all of my Long Recoil operated guns in the heavy setting and use light loads.When shooting singles trap, you don't want the action to cycle. That way you don't need to use a shell catcher.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Talked to Franchi customer service and I was told that even with the light load setting you need 1 1/8 ounce of lead and more than 1250 fps velocity. So my trap loads won't work.
Thanks for your feedback.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts