Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen,

What is the most lightly constructed 7mm 150gr (+/-) bullet available? Reason being, I have a 7X57mm that is sighted in with 150gr bullets that I would like to shoot groundhogs with. I was considering 100-110gr bullets, but would prefer not to have to adjust my sights. I was considering the Hornady 154gr SST (super shock tip) but I'm not sure if it will expand on a GHog. Any experiences or thoughts?

SSB

·
Super Moderator
9,462 Posts
Some years back, I decided to hunt EVERYTHING with a .280Rem. Worked pretty well, no real complaints except when varminting and many shots were taken in a day...for varminting where only a few shots are expected, worked fine.

Back then, used the Speer 115gr. JHP. NOt a great BC becasue of the large HP but that smame big HP let it work well on varmnits out to 300-350yards. today, I'd try the 110gr. Speer TNT-HP...a tiny bit lighter, but with a much better shape/BC.
----------
Chaces of any other load matching the sight-in of that 150gr. big game load are pretty slim. When i was shooting that .280 heavy barrel, I had to resight for the lighter loads. No big deal to me, I just kept track of the number of clicks change in windage and elevation, and sialed it back to the big game setting when I was done with varminting. Just need a well bedded/stable rifle and a repeatable scope.

·
Registered
14 Posts
When the SST's first came out JD Jones wrote that he thought they would be good for ground hogs at rifle velocities and a little soft for deer. Good for deer at pistol velocities.

Nosler ballistic tips open up pretty easily and would probably be good for ground hogs. IMO

Rick

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,229 Posts
A Ballistic Tip, without a doubt.

2nd runner up, I nominate Sierra boat-tails.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts