Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks.

Repo is the "Nick" but Tony is the name. My thing is "Cowboy Fast Draw". Unfortunately here in Ireland we are unable (Due to Firearms Legislation) to use the kinda guns ye are all used to in the US, so we are only able to use "Blank Firing Replica's"

Mine is a Replica Peacemaker 9mm / .38 cal

We have a good ole time here in Ireland, doing Demonstrations for local fair's or charitable events, and try to put on a bit of a show.

I do have a small query for all you out there that may be in the know. I'm a computer Tech (main occupation) and am sure that someone has designed / created some kind of "Personal Shot Timer Software" that will run on a Laptop. It seems that every link that I have gone to sends me to sites that only have software for "Mobile Phones".

Any help will be much appreciated.

Hope I havent bored ye all too much
Have a good un

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,654 Posts
Welcome. I'm sure it wouldn't be all that hard to write some software to take input from the laptop mic, and time the shots with the system clock ... but in the U.S. the shooting clubs seem to use handheld timers for the most part.

Good luck in your search. Nice country; I've seen the Shannon. You guys have much better beer and I'm jealous :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the "Welcome" note MikeG

I'm sure you are correct, it'll just be a matter of getting some software that will display something on the screen and a mic to pick up the shot. and yes ye are right the Shannon area is especially nice, and sorry but the only place to get a decent beer has to be Ireland. Unfortunately our beer dosent travel well, as I'm sure many of ye know. No need to be jealous, yr more than welcome to come over for a visit, we like sharing - lol

FYI I'm the Public Relations Co-Ordinator for a Club here in Ireland, and other than the antiquated systems we already have, I've been researching to try to find a better alternative.

Thanks again for the welcome, and hopefully I'll be able to find someone who can point me in the right direction.

·
Premium Member
7,606 Posts
Welcome Tony. Only programming I've had the 'pleasure' of doing was with paper punchcards in a college class.:rolleyes: That cured me. Would be interesting if someone has done that and is able to filter out background noise from triggering the clock.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Shawn, Lol - oh boy yr going back some time with the old punch cards. As far as filtering out background noise is concerned, I guess it would be fairly easy to adjust the gain on the mic to compensate in some way. Just a matter of getting something to display on the screen for the shooter to know when to Draw. The kind of system I'm looking for is more for personal use than for competition, and as I have a nice outta the way place that I practice in, background noise is mostly supplied by birds or cows (till I start shooting)

And just fer ye to know, yes I remember using the cards myself. I hated it also - - lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for that bit of info mattsbox99.

I have sent CED an email, hopefully they will have what I'm looking for.

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,268 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I don't see why such a program isn't possible. My mobile phone does just about everything my computer does.
Shawn, your comment on computer punch cards brings back a lot of memories of my college days. My roommate was majoring in computer science and always had stacks of punch cards on his desk. The bum left me at a bar one night and I had to walk back to the dorm in the rain. When I got there I just happened to notice a stack of computer punch cards that my roomie had been working on for his final progamming test. So I SHUFFLED them. Man was he PO'd.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Repo,

Welcome to the site, I've also had the pleasure of visiting Shannon when I was in the Army. Can't help you on the computer issue but would a regular shot timer be useful?

CD

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Welcome, Tony. Your beer doesn't travel well, but your blarney apparently does. You'll find enough here to wade through, LOL! Enjoy it and pile on, bucko.

A CED shot timer is expressly made for the job. Buying one might even end up being cheaper than software for a laptop.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jodum, Combat Driver & Rocky Raab - Thanks for yr comments. I guess that if I were in the USA, would prob be very easy to nip out and pick up the odd shot timer here and there, however, we do put on a bit fo a show from time to time for "Public" viewing, so, where it would be a practical addition to my toys, it would also be something I could link to an external Monitor for the public to see also. Surely if a shot timer is avaiable for "Phones" it must be something that would be available for a Laptop. Personal "smaller" shot timers (I could be wrong here) would surely hardley be able to project to a screen for public viewing.

Anyway, thanks to ye all for yr input, and I think I'll continue the search for now, will let ye all know what I find eventually.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts