Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed a Lyman Model 66 peep sight and replaced the original front sight with a higher bead. The front sight is dove tailed directly to the barrel; no ramp. My question: is anyone aware of an after market hood that will capture the "wings" of the sight base since there is no ramp or barrel grooves on my piece. The higher front sight looks like an accident waiting to happen regarding snagging on a gun case or banging inside an ATV hard scabbard.

Thank you.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
AFAIK, front sight hoods are springy affairs made to mount only in ramp side grooves, with none high enough to clear a sight much higher than the issue height - and none made to otherwise grip the sides of the sight's male dovetail.

If you're worried about transportation damage, you can fashion a padded protective sight hood, temporarily installed during transport, then removed when the rifle's put into use.

FWIW - I've been tossing front sight hoods into a scrounge box since 1967, with NONE of my hunting rifles either carrying one, nor ever becoming damaged.

The only time my discarded sight hoods have come into play, was to either make a rifle easier to sell, or to help someone out who just couldn't live w/o one.

·
Registered
19 Posts
i know what you mean bout the tall front dovetail sight, my 36g has a .500 tall sight. dogawn thing snags everything. i've never seen a hood to fit it. don't mean you could'nt make one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently added a Skinner peep sight on my Marlin 1894. As a result I had to get a taller front sight, which meant that my factory sight hood no longer fit. The solution - get a sight hood for a German K98. Reproductions are easy to find and cheap. It doesn't fit perfect, but it fits well enough in the side rail grooves that it protects my front sight. I am happy with it.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
If you think the sight is a snagger, wait until you see what happens if you figure out how to add the utterly useless hood. My advice -- leave it as-is. The first thing I do with any 336 I acquire that has a hood is to take off the [email protected]#$% thing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts