Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a picture I took in my jeep in a remote area on the canadian boarder along the black river I was hunting trophy Whitetail with my father, 80 miles in a grey zone on logging roads, moose ran in-front of our jeep for 2 miles before heading back into the thick woods, I was amazed how far they can run and how fast. Aim small hit small RAMbo.

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
You're right! It sure is amazing how fast they can get those ungainly legs going.... it looks like they're going to trip over their own feet at times once they get up to speed.

We have quite a healty moose population here in the Idaho Panhandle, and usually we see more moose than elk or deer when out hunting.

I noted you photo of the moose running down the road, and it reminded me of a local news item a couple of years ago. It seems that a young couple were headed to Priest Lake, ID, and about the 18 mile marker on Hwy 57 they came across a mature bull moose in the middle of the road. It was a nice mid-September day, and the couple were anxious to get to the lake, so the young man honked his horn repeatedly at the bull in the middle of the highway. The moose became enraged, and charged their bright orange, late 70's Ford Pinto, ripped out the grill, broke every piece of glass in the vehicle with his hooves and antlers, then hooked his antlers under the vehicle, and flipped it over onto its top with the occupants trapped inside as the moose kept guard to make sure they didn't get out!

There are many such N. Idaho stories about moose encounters with bulls during the rut, and quite a few vehicles disabled by angry bulls egged on by impatient motorists.

Thanks for the pix.

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hi Marshall its the same here in NH, there is a good amount of moose where I deer&bear hunt. Its like the land of the giants when they are around, boy are they are loud in the woods, at one time I use to hear a weird scrapping noise in the woods, found out it was the moose using there lower jaw to scrape the sweet bark off the tree's, this is a strange sound to hear in the woods, Finally observed a moose making the sound eating some sweet bark, Moose in indian means big twig eater, they are not kidding, This year me and my friend was calling bear during the season on a beach ridge, what do ya know a 1500 pd plus moose came crashing out right to us with in 20 yards away, we stayed very still and let that big bull walk bye and get far from us, that ran a chill right down my spine, it was during the moose rut and he was very aggressive huffing and puffin and stomping, Thank god he did not charge us, I had a Ruger Superredhawk 44 mag and my friend had the 454 in the super, but when he got that close even if he did attack us and we did have to shoot to save our lives, that big old moose would of stomped us into a mud pie before he fell from our shots;) we were in camo and I don't think he ever saw us or smell us do to our scent lock suits and cover scent. I have many moose storys to tell over the years of hunting. Moose are one of Gods great & powerful creatures. What a great land we live in. Take care Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

·
Beartooth Regular
2,139 Posts
Thanks for the pictures! I work at a retail store in the middle of Coeur d'Alene, and one day there was all sorts of commotion on the highway as I headed to work. It seems a young bull moose had found his way into town and was hanging around the highway. When the Fish and Game folks darted him with a tranquilizer it took awhile for the sedative to kick in and he kept wandering back and forth across the highway. This is the most populous town in the whole Panhandle! I guess the moose couldn't decide whether to shop at the Fred Meyer on the west side of the highway or the Black Sheep Sporting goods on the east. He finally went down by the K-Mart, and was taken out to Fourth-of-July Pass and set free.
Then there was the black bear shopping at the Post Falls outlet mall... IDShooter

·
Banned
87 Posts
Thema some nice mooses. Now I have seen a number of ways to hunt dem mooses and I would like to try with my 480 Ruger but your way may be even better. My puny 480 Ruger isn't even a match for your 390 Ford, Whats the recoil like when you fire that thing off? You could probably boost that slug up to a 409.

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
Bob

·
Registered
306 Posts
These stories remind me of when I lived in Alaska, we had one moose waunder into city hall, they had propped the back doors open to load some eqpt. and the moose decided to take a tour of city hall. The other incident was when I was trying to get out of the apartment complex where I was staying, a cow with a calf decided to stand in the middle of the drive way, was in a hurry and honked a couple of times, then took out the .22 I had with me and cracked a couple rounds behind it, (was an open field backed by forest land behind the moose) Apt. manager (anti gun) called the police and a Sgt. I knew showed up and got behind the moose and tried the siren and yelper, then put the push bar up against it and taped it a couple of times. Moose had enough of that and turned and proceded to flatten out the front of the patrol car. Never did find out what he told his chief. Oh yea, moose took calf and waundered off down the road.:D

Gun Runner

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've seen dozens of moose on the roads and in the woods of northern Maine and NH over the years.

My closest encouter came while deer hunting behind Flagstaff lake in Maine,

It was getting towards dark and got myself turned around looking for sign, so I decided to stop hunting and follow my compass back to the road (I didn't much feel like sleeping in the woods that night).

As I was following my compass and not really looking too far ahead, I nearly stepped into a very fresh, green steaming moose sign.

It was so fresh that when I did look up, the back side of the sign's owner was about 25 feet in front of me.

I must have spooked him as much as he did me as he quickly took off, knocking branches down with his rack as he went.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,949 Posts
Yup - that'd be purty close, alright!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
While living in the North West Territories of northern Canada in the mid '70's, a group of us had been partying at a remote lake. Thru some of the muskeg areas the road is built up quite high above the local terrain. We were just starting up a straight mile and a half gentle rise where the crest was at tree level. I was a passenger in an old Ford pick-up with five teenagers in the cab. As we came into the straight stretch of road, I asked if anyone had heard of a new firewatch tower being built recently. Everyone said NO. My next question was: What is that tower with the two white lights just beyond the crest of the hill. All eyes are concentrated on this tower that is silhouetted against the horizion where just beyond was the land of the mid-night sun. In the belief that the tower was indeed beyond the crest of the road, the driver kept the pedal down. As we neared the top the tower dithers first to the left then to the right, like a cutting horse aiming a steer to the gate. MOOOOSSSEE, is the only sound heard as we blasted past. The passenger side mirror touched the hide quater of the cow just enough to require re-adjusting. I would have liked to stop to ask her if she had any stone bruises from the flying gravel. Life in the wilderness.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts