Shooters Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my bear guide license, and I’m thinking quite strongly about getting a 20” fully-rifled barrel for my 12 gauge 870 Express Super Magnum, and using it with sabots as my back-up gun. I’d like to get some feedback from those who have hunted with 12 gauge sabots and a fully-rifled barrel. The areas I’ll be guiding in are quite dense, and all shots will be less than 100 yards, so long-range accuracy is not an issue. Really what I’m looking for is feedback on the actual performance of this combination on the game you were hunting. I suspect it is quite devastating, but I’d like to hear about some actual accounts. Thanks.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
13,142 Posts
In the state of Indiana, slug guns are the "norm" for deer hunting. My dad and several friends shoot fully rifled 12 gauge shotguns, including the 870. Accuracy is more than acceptable out to 100 yards, but recoil, frankly, is punishing. If you ever have to stop a bear with one, that big ol' slug will do the job, but even if the slugs weren't incredibly expensive, I guarantee you won't spend hours at the range, shooting for fun.

I have helped dress and process several deer harvested with slug guns and the holes they make have to be seen to be believed. I sure hope Indiana eventually allows the use of more conventional rifle cartridges for deer.

·
Banned
968 Posts
They have eliminated bird shot at my local indoor range because of damage (spraying the ceiling etc.) and after 20 slug rounds my shoulder is pretty bruised. Are there pads for the shoulder or end of the stock for Rem 870s?

I am using Rem 3" 12g 1875 fps 7/8 oz.

·
Registered
13,142 Posts
They have eliminated bird shot at my local indoor range because of damage (spraying the ceiling etc.) and after 20 slug rounds my shoulder is pretty bruised. Are there pads for the shoulder or end of the stock for Rem 870s?

I am using Rem 3" 12g 1875 fps 7/8 oz.
You can shoot those at an indoor range? I have helped several folks sight in by using a Lead Sled to get their scopes/sights set correctly, without the worry of flinching under the heavy recoil. After that, they usually shoot "2 or 3" from the shoulder, but I haven't seen anyone voluntarily fire more rounds than that. They simply cost too much and kick too hard.

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
I just got my bear guide license, and I’m thinking quite strongly about getting a 20” fully-rifled barrel for my 12 gauge 870 Express Super Magnum, and using it with sabots as my back-up gun. I’d like to get some feedback from those who have hunted with 12 gauge sabots and a fully-rifled barrel. The areas I’ll be guiding in are quite dense, and all shots will be less than 100 yards, so long-range accuracy is not an issue. Really what I’m looking for is feedback on the actual performance of this combination on the game you were hunting. I suspect it is quite devastating, but I’d like to hear about some actual accounts. Thanks.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
Why dont you just get a .458 WM??

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jbee, yes, you can get a recoil pad for your 870. Remington sells a custom pad called the SuperCell Recoil Pad. I got one for my 870 and it works great. I used to get a pretty sore shoulder after 50 rounds at the trap and skeet club. Now I hardly notice it after that many rounds.

Why don't I get a 458 Win Mag? Because I'm guessing it would cost about $1,500 minimum, and a 20" rifled barrel for my 870 would cost just over $200.

Why don't i get a 450 Marlin? I may get a 450 or .45-70 down the road, but again, $200 for a rifled barrel, and minimum $800 for a new Marlin.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I appreciate the feedback so far. Cost of ammo is not really an issue. This would not be a plinking outfit. I have other guns I can take to the range for fun. I'd shoot enough rounds out this rig until I was comfortable with my performance on paper, and other than using it in the field, that'd be about it. I'm not a sucker for punishment.

·
Banned
968 Posts
> You can shoot those at an indoor range?

Yes, on the rifle side of the range, you can use shotguns with slugs, no armor piercing. For right now, they closed down the pistol side were I use to use birdshot.

> They simply cost too much and kick too hard.

That may be so, until my life or a neighbor's is counting on how well I can fire 20 slug rounds. ;-)

> a custom pad called the SuperCell Recoil Pad. I got one for my 870

Great, I will see about getting one tomorrow. I had looked at adjustable stocks, just too much money.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
There are also the "PAST" recoil pads worn on the shoulder during practice and "mercury recoil reducers" (that can be installed in the stock or placed in the magazine tube).

As a big bullet fan who does not hunt with slugs, I'm curious as to why you would want small sabot slugs (which have an advantage at longer ranges) rather than heavy slugs such as the "Brenneke" for close range protect-your-client-from-maulings shooting.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.