Shooters Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my bear guide license, and I’m thinking quite strongly about getting a 20” fully-rifled barrel for my 12 gauge 870 Express Super Magnum, and using it with sabots as my back-up gun. I’d like to get some feedback from those who have hunted with 12 gauge sabots and a fully-rifled barrel. The areas I’ll be guiding in are quite dense, and all shots will be less than 100 yards, so long-range accuracy is not an issue. Really what I’m looking for is feedback on the actual performance of this combination on the game you were hunting. I suspect it is quite devastating, but I’d like to hear about some actual accounts. Thanks.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jbee, yes, you can get a recoil pad for your 870. Remington sells a custom pad called the SuperCell Recoil Pad. I got one for my 870 and it works great. I used to get a pretty sore shoulder after 50 rounds at the trap and skeet club. Now I hardly notice it after that many rounds.

Why don't I get a 458 Win Mag? Because I'm guessing it would cost about $1,500 minimum, and a 20" rifled barrel for my 870 would cost just over $200.

Why don't i get a 450 Marlin? I may get a 450 or .45-70 down the road, but again, $200 for a rifled barrel, and minimum $800 for a new Marlin.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I appreciate the feedback so far. Cost of ammo is not really an issue. This would not be a plinking outfit. I have other guns I can take to the range for fun. I'd shoot enough rounds out this rig until I was comfortable with my performance on paper, and other than using it in the field, that'd be about it. I'm not a sucker for punishment.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.