Shooters Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I "inherited" 2 1-lb. cans of P-5066. A little interweb research told me it was a pistol powder, discontinued in the 60's; but this had been stored indoors, and the one that was opened looked and smelled good. The other is still sealed. From the suggested charges people listed from old manuals, it seemed to be not quite as fast as Bullseye, but faster than Unique. I treated it about like 700-x; loaded up 50 rds. of .45 acp, 200 gr. LSWC with 3 charges in the mid 4 grain range. Took them to the range, and all functioned perfectly. Not bad for 55 year old powder. The accuracy was not great, but I had loaded up a bunch of spare mis-matched cases, since I was mostly testing the powder. Next time I'll use all one brand and see what I get.
I cast my 45 bullets, and I've got plenty of brass, so with "free" powder, I'm good for a while til I run out of primers.
I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has experience with this powder.

·
Registered
172 Posts
If memory serves, that was an IMR powder, used to load either ball or match .45 ACP ammo, according to a very old version of Cartridges of the World. Based on the powder charge, I surmised that its burning rate was about like Alliant Red Dot, but I think 700X is also a valid comparison.
I've never found any to use. Good luck with it! I envy you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts