Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Between bouts with turkey, I noticed that Davidson's is listing a No. 1H in .405 win. (regular and stainless versions).

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
That should be very interesting for the handloaders. With all the bullets available in the .411 diameter, handloaders should be able to see what the cartridge is fully capable of in the No.1. While looking around for bullets for the Hawk, I've found bullets available from Swift, Woodleigh, Barnes, Hawk and others. Not to mention handgun bullets. If someone is really taken with the cartridge, this would be an excellent platform.

·
Banned
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alyeska, I figured you'd be at least a little interested. :)

Yah, I've been through Pet Loads and the load books this afternoon. Loaded down to 1600-1800fps with some of BTB's .411s would be sweet for everyday use down here in the lower 48, and 2200fps potential for the big stuff of far off dreams.

(Nothing the 45-70 or .444 can't do, but there is something about long, lean express rounds that is very appealing.)

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
Charlie,
It's true what you said about the 45/70 and 444, but then again, there really isn't much that the good old 30/06 can't do that other cartridges have found their niche in the market. I like the old rounds. I like the old rifles (or at least modern versions of the older models). I just finished Teddy's African Game Trails (again). While this is a different time and a completely different culture, I think a little better rifle shot (maybe Kermit?) would have been a better user of the 405 than Teddy.

·
Banned
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"I do not know how to shoot well, but I know how to shoot often." - TR

There are some nice loads and the quote above at:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/405win.htm

The low and mid powered loads are particularly interesting. The No. 1 weighs in at 9lbs, which would be good.

BTW: I've ordered an AO peep for my 1A '06 (given up on the NECG). There are 2 models for the No.1, apparently: a "backup" and a permenant (won't allow room for a scope). Both take some drilling of the sight ramp, but that's the cost for a low mount, I guess. I'll let you know how it comes out. I got one for the Brownchester-san '92, too: figured it best for knocking-about (any peep option requires drilling and tapping something on this one, anyway). You have the same issue with the '95.

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
I spoke with Fred at Z-Hat today, and the 411 should be here around the 1st of the year. I've already picked up a Marbles Tang sight for it (don't know why, just for grins I guess) and can't wait to stretch it out. Considering the mauling that Mike suffered on Hinchinbrook, I'll definitely feel much better when hunting deer over there from now on with the 1895 in my hands.

·
Banned
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only thing faster than your '95 might be a .411 auto or pump, but I haven't seen too many of those... ;)

·
Banned
91 Posts
405 Win

The 405win is a fine round.I have one in a Win M1895 with 28in barrel.With hot handloads I've been getting impressive ballistics,above and beyond the reach of 45/70,444 Marlin ,458x2 and 450 Marlin:

300gr SP 2450fps-4000fpe,with 58.5grs of IMR 3031
chronoed at 12ft,tested on two different chronos

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,954 Posts
4,000 feet per second with a .410 diameter, 300 grain bullet???? How did the action hold up?

·
Banned
91 Posts
405 Winchester

kdub said:
4,000 feet per second with a .410 diameter, 300 grain bullet???? How did the action hold up?
That was 4,000fpe in energy,not velocity,sorry.The bullet diameter is .412,not .410 and action of the Winchester M1895 is very strong and handles the pressures of the 405Win hot loaded fine.Some signs of stress on cases though,but have it figured out. Enforcer

·
Registered
178 Posts
Great discussion. I have been looking to get a .405. Although I usually go the lever action route the Ruger 1-h looks impressive. Do you think the Win 1895 will hold up with quite a bit of usege at moderate to heavy loads?

And the most important question... Did the shoulder hold up as well as the gun? I would tend to think the Ruger might handle the recoil a little better, especially if a good muzzle brake was installed. I just cannot picture an 1895 with a break!

·
Banned
91 Posts
405 win recoil

Lindsey Mathiso said:
Great discussion. I have been looking to get a .405. Although I usually go the lever action route the Ruger 1-h looks impressive. Do you think the Win 1895 will hold up with quite a bit of usege at moderate to heavy loads?

And the most important question... Did the shoulder hold up as well as the gun? I would tend to think the Ruger might handle the recoil a little better, especially if a good muzzle brake was installed. I just cannot picture an 1895 with a break!
The Winchester M1895 will hold up.It a very strong action.I've shot over 300 hot handloads without a hint of stress.Recoil is brutal.Expecially with the cresent shaped factory metal butt plate.The added weight of the 28in barrel and scope and mounts,probably help.Though you wouldn't know it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts