Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought about purchasing a few game cameras as I'm interested in the quality of deer on my new hunting ground. I'd like to hear from anyone recommending to buy or to not buy certain model cameras. What features are really needed? Thanks, Kerry:)

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I'd definitely get a digital camera that uses SD cards or similar. I dunno if you can get any other kind now, though. If where you plan to deploy them has good cell phone coverage, you can buy the ones you can check via cell phone so you don't have to travel out to them as often. This is especially nice if where they are deployed is a long drive from where you live or something. Also, you can check them on the morning of your hunt from your laptop before you walk into the woods.

The ones we have are just standard digital cameras with SD cards (no cell phone). They work pretty good.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I just had a thought (watch out)....I had no idea that these cameras could send images via cellular to a laptop or email address. I can envision this technology progressing into multiple cameras, at multiple locations, sending photographs to a Blackberry within minutes of the image being captured. If this happens a person could set up a whole bunch of cameras at desired areas and almost instantly monitor them. This would fall into some kind of realtime game surveillance that will eventually be regulated by the states wildlife agencies.

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,227 Posts
One of the cellular technicians I work with hooked up a wireless video camera to his deer stand and pointed it at his feeder. The stand is within radio range of his house. He can sit at his computer record/monitor the area in front of his stand.

·
Registered
409 Posts
One of the cellular technicians I work with hooked up a wireless video camera to his deer stand and pointed it at his feeder. The stand is within radio range of his house. He can sit at his computer record/monitor the area in front of his stand.
There is definitely something wrong with my attraction to this technology!:eek:

·
Premium Member
2,775 Posts
Thought about purchasing a few game cameras as I'm interested in the quality of deer on my new hunting ground. I'd like to hear from anyone recommending to buy or to not buy certain mod
el cameras. What features are really needed? Thanks, Kerry:)
There have been problems with all of them in one way or another. But be sure to get the infer-red cameras as opposed to a cheaper flash unit. Your batteries will last 10 times as long. I am using the Moultrie cameras, and they are priced around 150.00 now. Friends of mine have the Cuddeback. I would suggest a card reader that you can carry from one camera to another and delete picures that you don't want, because in one week, if you have deer on the place, you can get 200-250 pictures. I usually get 50 pictures of cows.
If you go to www.desertsafaris.com they have a video feed camera that has one of their deer feeders on the internet anytime you want to check your deer movement. It is currently offline due to hunting season ( they wouldn't shoot a deer off a feeder, would they?) But it works great. Go to management deer section and it will show it. Also there is a logo on the website if you want to get in touch with the manufacturer.

Good Luck

·
Registered
513 Posts
If you already own a digital camera, then buy an infared digital trail cam that takes the same media card. Then you can review the trail cam images in the field on your personal camera. Don't waste your $$ on a separate reviewing device. I have a Moultrie that works well, but the optional viewing screen is so small it's useless. Don't get this reviewing screen option either. Be concerned with battery life too. I leave mine for a month or more at times, and with six D cell batteries, it's still going when I return. Good luck

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
well let see how many i can collect today..just kidding ..but im guessing these things are gonna turn up at the flea markets sooner or later..
some stolen ,,some legit..
not knocki9ng the idea though..slim

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
If you already own a digital camera, then buy an infared digital trail cam that takes the same media card. Then you can review the trail cam images in the field on your personal camera. Don't waste your $$ on a separate reviewing device. I have a Moultrie that works well, but the optional viewing screen is so small it's useless. Don't get this reviewing screen option either. Be concerned with battery life too. I leave mine for a month or more at times, and with six D cell batteries, it's still going when I return. Good luck
This is actually what my dad does with his. His camera and the trail camera use the same media so when he goes out, he takes the camera and just trades cards between it and the trail camera. He can look at the trail cam pics with his camera instantly, take the camera and the (old) trail camera media home, and copy the pictures from the trail camera media to the computer. He then deletes the images off that media and puts that card back in his camera (to use with the camera) until he goes back out to check his trail camera and repeats the process.

·
Banned
33 Posts
You get what you pay for. I picked up a el-cheapo digtal Wildgame camera at chinamart for $50.00. It has the flash rather than infrared. The four "C" batteries last only 50-60 shots, then the camera shuts down....that can be one night's use. The pictures are very poor quality. Moultrie cameras have great reviews, better than the more expensive units.

·
Banned
1,398 Posts
It gets bad when you have to use one to catch who's stealing the one its overlooking. My nephew has had two stolen in as many years. Both times he believes he knows who's taking them but without proof... We've talked about setting them up in such a way there would be proof but that gets costly real fast. Had heard about the ones that transmit photos to your cell phone or computer but unfortunately we're on the very fringe edge of coverage. Best of times its irratic but would probably have worse luck when chips are down.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts