Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a box of Lyman .41 gas checks because the .416 ones from Hornady do not work right with the bullet design I have (It's a Saeco TC design). I've never used Lyman gas checks before because the Hornady's are more readily available where I live and they cost less to boot. The question I'm getting to is: Is the crap quality of Lyman gas checks the norm? Or did I get a bad box of them? The gas checks need to be culled before they can even be used. There are some (about 8% or better) that have the sides torn off in one spot from crap manufacturing. Many have the pieces that look like they should be on the previously mentioned checks mashed into the cup, which are difficult to remove. The sides of cup are not even close to even on many of them. I've always used the Hornady's and they appear to be a much higher quality check, especially for the money. Are all Lyman gas checks crap?

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
kciH

No, this is not the norm for Lyman gas checks! I would call them. I have have found them to be receptive to complaints in the past.
I like lyman gas checks for Lyman bullets. I also use the .45 cal gas checks on an NEI mold that I hve.
I have heard that Hornady now makes gas checks for Lyman and that the latest Lyman checks crimp on the base, I cannot confirm this.
What box are these checks in? Are they in the old black and white box?

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
These are in the Orange box. I just purchased them from Midway because they are not readily available in my area. As far as I know, they are the only .41 caliber gas checks available anyway.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
There is another manufacturer in North Louisiana, I think, I think their name is Bullet Swaging Supply, I believe they have a web site, I'll look for it.

Also, Midway is very good about "making a product right", you might call them.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks,
I'll take a peek at Corbin's website, since the company likely buys their swaging equiment from them. Corbin has a directory of companies that mafg custom bullets and jackets and the like. I'm very close to buying a swaging press, but I don't see laying out the cash to produce gas checks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts