Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got very bad gas cutting on the face of my forceing cone on my 454 ruger.Load was 31.0 lil-gun and about 30 rounds.(1) will this hurt accuracy(2)has this happened to any others

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
this was with a 300gr cas bullet.Marshall i reall need your help on this one ,worried i hurt my baby

·
Registered
130 Posts
gas cutting on forcing cone? usually its the topstrap and if so it will stop as it will actually temper the steel or what you can call flame hardening. is this srhk new? you will get the cutting with the heavy loads.  and as mentioned it will stop.        jim.

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
D Rowe

This is the first complaint I've heard of gas-cutting caused by Lil'Gun, of course it is relatively new on the market, but I doubt it's performance in this regard would be much different than H110/W296 at equal loading levels.

What Jim Lambert said concerning actual gas cutting I would have to heartily concur with.  I've not heard of gas cutting on the face of the forcing cone.  Your load isn't a wimp load, but by no means is it excessive by any standards either.  

I'm gathering that this must be a relatively new SRHK, and that this anomoly you see is of course of a different appearance than it's new finish.   I can't imagine your having hurt your revolver, nor you getting any actual gas cutting!

My first impression is that with a quick check, that what you are interpreting as gas cutting might just be an irregular pattern of lead deposited from your cast bullets! Were they gas checked?  How hard were they?  Did they fit the cylinder throats well?   Those questions, once answered will give me more information to work with!

Right now, I'm rather shooting in the dark, and akin to giving a haircut over the phone!   But, I can't imagine having hurt your gun with that load, and with Bill Ruger's excellent, abrasion resistand alloy that you have hurt your revolver in the least!

Hope this helps!   Give me some more info, and maybe I can be of better help!   Let us all know what you find!

God bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Marshall and Jim  thank you both for your help.BHN of bullets are 18-20 no gas check and a very loose cylinder fit. I had same cutting on a 44 redhawk and an old interarms 44mag. Sent said redhawk to ruger and they fixed it. Looks like the same barrel and same amount of b/c gap i had no way to check it. Sold that and 45acp to get the ruger 454.BTW got your book today in the mail Marshall it picks up where Veral left off at least for me                                                                                                                                           GOD bless

1 - 5 of 5 Posts