Shooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering purchasing a tikka t3 lite in .308. I am browsing through scope options and have more questions than anything. I would like a reticle that has hold overs specifically for a .308 and adjustable magnification of about 2 - 10x.

First question is about barrel length. The Tikka comes as a 20in barrel.. would this throw off the holdovers say if it was designed with a 22in barrel in mind.

If the reticle is zeroed at the highest magnification, do the hold overs hold true when scope is adjusted to its lowest.

Also, I would assume the bullet selection comes into play as well. How much can that effect the holdovers?

I am considering this scope... https://www.amazon.com/Nikon-M-308-4-16x42mm-Riflescope-Reticle/dp/B00M85OUCY/ref=sr_1_1/131-6488422-7252003?ie=UTF8&qid=1505914790&sr=8-1&keywords=nikon+m-308+4-16x42 but was wondering if there was other suggestions out there..

·
Premium Member
15,574 Posts
My most sincere suggestion is to buy a simple scope and learn how to shoot!! Magic wands usually don't work.

The main problem in ballistics is knowing what the range actually is. Most shooters in my experience missjudge by at least 50% and many times much more than that.

WHAT are you shooting at? is the very first question. If you're shooting targets on a range, you KNOW what the range is and all you need is a ballistics chart for your load. If you're shooting praire dogs or ground squirrels, just use a laser range finder on a couple marker places and go from there. If you're big game hunting, know what 250 yards looks like and don't shoot beyond it. Aim dead center at any range less than that. The .308 will break a clay bird from 25 to 250 yards out with the proper zero. What else do you need?

·
Registered
11,934 Posts
Welcome to the shooters forum.

Scopes that offer ballistic "helps" aren't the answer. The scope manufacturer has no idea what bullet or velocity it will produce in your rifle. Depending on them to deliver accurate shot placement with every combination is more snake oil than reality.
There are scope makers who offer custom dial up turents based on the ballistics of a particular load in your rifle. It is your responsibility to provide them that data.
Sighting in a rifle at a particular range and knowing how much to compensate at various ranges works well for me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the input! Yall kind of confirmed what I was already suspicious of in that it seems like there is too many variables to consider for some of the smoke and mirrors these scopes offer. I intend this rifle to be an all around general purpose rifle. I will shoot both targets and hunt in addition to using a variety of loads. I don't plan on shooting past 250 yards when hunting but would like the option to shoot beyond especially if shooting targets.

I went on my first hog hunt last weekend and the only hogs we saw where close to 350 (we had a range finder). If I had known that would of been the only ones I would see that day I may of taken a crack at it. Its worth noting that I had borrowed a 7mm Mag for this hunt and wasn't using a .308 here. Anyways, This is what got me thinking about scopes w/ holdovers in the first place.

While I am not necessarily new to shooting I have definitely not mastered the rifle. Is there a particular scope , magnification, or reticle you would recommend for such a general purpose rifle?

·
Premium Member
15,574 Posts
Short and light rifles should have a short and light scope, IMO, unless it's primarily for small targets a long ways off. That gun would be perfect with a compact 3-9x.

·
Registered
11,934 Posts
What type of terrain do you mostly hunt in? There are places where the ranges are short and cover thick enough that 3x is too much.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mostly fields and clearings. Maybe some light cover every now and then. I would say this would be more of a "ranch" gun then a "brush" gun.

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,517 Posts
I am considering purchasing a tikka t3 lite in .308. I am browsing through scope options and have more questions than anything. I would like a reticle that has hold overs specifically for a .308 and adjustable magnification of about 2 - 10x.
So I did a post on the difference between FFP and SFP, that may help you understand the differences, can see it here:
https://www.shootersforum.com/rifle...182185-ffp-vs-sfp-explaination-beginners.html

Even if you don't want to "dial" corrections, you will likely find a FFP scope very helpful for your "holdover" piece you want. If you have a FFP scope with matching turrets and reticle(cross hair), then at any magnification the spacing between marks will always be the same relative to the target.
So either get a GOOD ballistic app, or shoot and know what your drops are for yourself, then tape a "drop chart" to your buttstock. If you are talking something like 50-300 yards, the drops will be easy enough to simply remember.

Something like a Primary Arms 4-14x FFP mil/mil scope will only cost you $240.

Cheers

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,516 Posts
A good 3-9X44 with a duplex reticle would be ideal for your situation. It wouldn't have to cost an arm and a leg either. I'm not going to tell you what kind of rings aNd bases or scope to get because I can shoot what I have with inexpensive glass that would make a Pro-shooter double over in laughter. I am partial to Weaver bases and rings

RJ

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
A how many star general?

Even if there were a location in your profile, "308" covers a lot of ground & personal preference even more, so kinda impossible to say what's good for YOU. I like the KISS principle (uncluttered picture), low power/wide field of view, heavy duplex, & a scope that somewhat matches the size of the gun. TEHO. You will likely get quite the variety of suggestions I'm thinking. Good luck.

·
Registered
7,701 Posts
Kadam! Lots of wisdom here. More than I can offer for a scope. I'd vote open sights if your eyes are up to it? I was purdy good to 250 or so when my eyes were younger. Big scopes just magnify misses. 2X to 5X is enough for hunting rifle in my opinion.

Shutting up!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After reviewing the comments of this thread I think my punch list is as follows:

1) Compact and lite (under 15oz about 12 inch)
2) 3-9x
3) About 40 mm objective
4) First Focal Plane
5) Mil Dot Reticle (Sounds useful)

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
After reviewing the comments of this thread I think my punch list is as follows:

1) Compact and lite (under 15oz about 12 inch)
2) 3-9x
3) About 40 mm objective
4) First Focal Plane
5) Mil Dot Reticle (Sounds useful)

In your price range I'd highly suggest looking at the Leupold VX2 3-9x40 or the VX3i 3.5-10x40 with the CDS system on whichever you choose. The Custom Dial System is a calibrated system Leupold puts into your scope making the drops easily dialed to using a typical single crosshair. You choose your load, bullet, BC and velocity give the info to Leupold and they build a dial to compensate for the drop at extended ranges.

Buy the scope, test ammo you'd want to use and after finding the bullet & load you want to use, send the information back to Leupold and they will build you a new elevation dial.

https://www.leupold.com/dials

·
Registered
33 Posts
Nikon's M-308 4-16 BDC scope will work great on your Tikka. I am currently using 2 M-308's. 1 on a AR and one on a Rem. bolt rifle. Love em. They let me zoom in to make quick and accurate shots. I utilize Nikon's SPot On Program to give me the best possible down range accuracy. Knowing MV, scope height (mid bore to mid scope), BC all add to your accuracy. Easy to use and free. Drop me a note if you have any questions.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts