Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Currently on my 700 .300wm I have a Cabelas Alpha 3-12x40 scope. It came with the gun and is actually a surprisingly good scope. Bright, clear, good eye relief, and after hundreds of shots has never wandered off zero once.

However, my only complaint is that the reticle is a little too thick. It requires me to aim at 2" circles at 200 yards because it completely covers 1" circles.

I'm sold on Nikon because I bought one of their entry level Prostaff scopes for my 870. The 2-7x32 was only $100, and is really clear and crisp. After over 100 Lightfield 3" mags it's been completely flawless. Hunting last year, even towards the end of the day with very low light I could still see everything through it. Amazing!

I'm not a big fan of the BDC type reticle, so I'm choosing between the Nikoplex and the Mil-dot. My Nikon 2-7x32 has the Nikoplex, which I like because the reticle is very fine/thin.

Is the reticle on the Mil-dot as fine/thin as the Nikoplex?

Thanks!

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
Nikoplex is just their version of a Duplex reticle, which is what I would choose, given the option. There is a reason this is the most popular reticle style for hunting. In very low-light situations, at shorter ranges, it guides your eye to a "close enough" aiming point, while in good light, the fine wire in the middle allows for more accurate long-range shooting. Definitely the best choice for big-game hunting, IMHO.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have a couple Monarchs with the Mil Dot reticle, Savage .308 FP10 and TC Pro Hunter .300 WM. I also have a couple Nikoplex reticles, AR-15 .223, Rem 700 .30-06, TC Pro Hunter .308. IMO use what ever looks best to your eye. The mil dot is just as fine a line as the nikoplex, but the nikoplex does draw you eye to the center faster by design.

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
I would advise you to go with the Mil-Dot and learn how to use them, you will be a much better shooter down the road passed the 300 yard marker.:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts