Shooters Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to post some photos of my last project. I have this Mauser that needed some stock work so I ended up refinishing with some Tru-oil and it turned out fairly well. Just a quick rundown on what I did. After I got it the previous owner failed to bed the action so that resulted in a crack in the tang area. They screwed it and called it good. When I got it I totally bedded the action and trigger guard and pillared the rear screw. Then glued the crack up and replaced the screw. I put about 7-10 coats of Tru-oil on and sanded down to build up a finish and fill in the pores. Then I took a coffee filter and buffed in 5 more thin coats and got this. After that I put a little stock wax on it and called it good. I'm learning how to make this stuff work.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,142 Posts
I think you did a really good job refinishing that stock, even though I don't really care for the high-gloss look. I've redone several stocks lately, but the ones I do for myself are always with an oil finish or Permalyn, for more of a flat finish. Just personal taste, but your work looks great, too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.