Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
whats the most user friendly, best accuracy for hunting when using the 243 nosler accubond bullet, 270 and 30-06 using the moly coated winchester/nosler bullet. I realize i will have to work up the loads to find what each rifle prefers but what powder would i most likey get the best performance out of. Most shooting situations will be 200 yards or less.

thanks

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
Andy,

There are a ton of variables you will need to consider before you can answer those questions. Bullet weight and design, barrel length, action type, etc. are just a few of them. The more specific information you provide, the more we can help but you'll still have to experiment with your setup before we can be much help. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The rifle is a CVA Optima Elite with Bergara barrels. They are a single shot tip up type barrel. They are very accurate with stock ammo but i would liek to see what i could get by hand loading. The 243 accubond is a 95 grain, the 270 is a 130 ballistic tip, the 30-06 is a 150 or 168 grain ballistic tip.
The barrel length is 24" with the 243 being 1 in 9 twist and the other 2 are 1 in 10 i believe without going to look it up.

thanks

·
Registered
170 Posts
You might want to use the OCW method due to lack of handloading experience. It was posted in the handloading forum a short time ago and has my interest. I immediately thought it would be great for a beginner. Have fun and welcome to rolling your own.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have been reading and what keeps popping up for powders that keep getting mentioned and that seem to produce good numbers is varget and winchester 760/780.
what do you guys think about these powders

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,103 Posts
Varget is a touch fast for the .243, and probably the .270 too, but it would work. I would look at one of the 4350 powders, make sure you get data for the correct one (IMR, Hodgdon, and no telling who all uses that number).

·
Registered
170 Posts
IMR-4350 works real well for a .270. IMR-4320 does as well. Working with manuals and picking a powder that best fills the case is always good advice for starting load developemnet.

·
Registered
613 Posts
For the .243 I always reach for the IMR=4064 first . Win-760 works well in both the .270 and 06 as does IMR-4350 . I love working up loads , gives me a reason to shoot more

·
Registered
79 Posts
4350 is good for every one of those you listed. AA3100 is good too. RL19 would probably work reasonably. For the 270 I have found RL22 is nearly unbeatable, it does very well in 243 as well, but it is a little slow for the 06.

Good Shooting,
Gary

·
Registered
596 Posts
I recently tried RL22 in my 270 and the 7mm mag. Accuracy was no better than the IMR 4350 but I found that it dirtied the barrel much more than the IMR.
I have now bought another 8lbs of IMR 4350

·
Registered
79 Posts
No doubt that IMR 4350 is very good powder. If RL22 was dirty, then you were shooting very mild loadings. RL22, like many powders, requires pressures be in the upper end range to burn clean.

By the way, another powder that is in the general 4350 burn range, ( but is a ball powder ) is AA2700. In many cases it will not deliver top velocity, but as long as you can get 95%+ load density it delivers extreme accuracy. It also seems to somewhat reduce perceived recoil for some reason.

Good shooting,
Gary

1 - 11 of 11 Posts