Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reloading for serveal years but never got into it really deep. Recently I have been going to a new trap range and I have tie for first serveral times. When we tie the man who pulls just marches us back ( probably 50 yards or more from the trap house). I am still tring to use my normal reloads but the man I tie with uses special shells. I was hoping that you all could help me out with a good reload recipe for those long shots.
I have plenty of hulls (federal, AA, and various others). The primers I have are win209. The wads I have are the white WAA12, (but could get other if that is what you suggest for my backup shells). Powder I will buy what ever you all suggest.

Thanks for your help.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,225 Posts
Well.... some of it is equipment and some is technique.  Personally I'm a 'quick' shooter at trap, I swing through the birds as soon as I see them and don't go for a sustained lead.  This cuts down on the distance of the shot dramatically.  I have shot trap doubles, and usually get the second bird while it's still rising.  If I had to lead a falling bird at long range I'd be totally lost - no idea whatsoever.

I've found that even on 16-yard handicap this works OK with plain reloads.  I don't know enough about the rules of trap to comment on loads, as to what might be legal or not.  My thought is to try some of the fancy sporting clays factory loads and see if any of them work well for you and your shooting technique, then adjust your reloads to suit.  Even the 'standard' AA trap loads should get the job done on the 16 yard line.

Don't misunderstand me - I'm not a great trap shooter by any means.  But I think that the mechanics of your shooting may have more to do with the score than exact reload recipe.

Last time I went skeet shooting (I know, not trap) I used 1oz loads, which were barely fast enough to cycle my 1100.  Got 23/25 targets and the two I missed were my fault.  Guy shooting with me had fancy sporting clays loads and he could not hit a barn with his fancy gun.  I've seen enough people shoot trap, even handicap, with .410's to know that it is not just about throwing a huge pile of lead.

By the way my dove hunting loads are 1.25oz shot, AA hull, Win primer, Super field powder, and the appropriate Win wad - it's in their books and I can't remember the exact powder charge or wad name.  Shoots good.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Indeed!.....My first question would be, are these "special" shells this man is using regulation trap shells? If they are, they must be ATA approved loads not exceeding 1200 fps.After years of trap shooting for various gun companies, I selected 2 3/4 dram - 1 1/8 oz - #8's for 16 yard birds and 3 dram - 1 1/8 oz - #7 1/2 for handicap (26 yards).
Factory trap loads in 7 1/2 oz have the highest antimony content and in fact are the finest small shot shells made! On the other hand this man may be loading "Ringer" shells that are well above the velocity and weight ATA specs in order to show off.
First..buy some 7 1/2 high antimony trap shot. Any loading book from the various powder companies will give you good recipes for trap loads at 1200 fps. The best patterning wad I have found to date is the 1 1/8 oz Winchester AA wad. If using Win AA tapered cases, select on of their ball powder recipes. With Federal Gold Metal hulls, it's hard to beat the patterning qualities of Green Dot, however it's a bulky powder and will need the high capacity Federal hull.
Best Regards, James

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This man is shooting hot shells. They sound like a rocket taking off. Sometimes I notice that there is a yellowish smoke, maybe from corn mill in the shot. He has also said something about 1300 fps or maybe faster.  
Most of the time, when there is a tie he takes us out ever vary long distances that my reloads that I use from the 16 to the 27 yard line just don't do any good.  My shells just don't have the speed at that far of a distance.
At the 27 I am busting around 23 out of 25. I am very quick on the bird, so I doubt it is my problem.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,225 Posts
Oh wow I didn't realize that you were going beyond the 27 yard line.  Yes that would make a pretty long shot!  27 yard line is tough enough.  I guess this isn't an official ATA contest. either that or no one is reading the rulebook.

If you want to try ranges beyond that, I would take a look at the nickel-plated sporting clays ammo, in the biggest shot size I could find (probably # 7 1/2).  Might be worth trying a box.  Would definitely be worth it if you could show him up!

·
Registered
1 Posts
One of my favorite loads for back up is 1-5/8 #6's with 16.5 gr. herco, rem hull or tapered AA, rem. RP 12 wad,209 primer, with lottsa wad pressure (80 lb) Have been shooting this load for about 20 yrs without any problems. Good back to 45 yrds, back futher I use 1-3/4 #4's.Use at own risk--mild recoil, just have to put it where the target is going.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts