Shooters Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I have not put the Uncle Mikes sling swivels in yet.
They are really hard for me to get drilled on center.

Turk mauser Walnut stock 20210718_053111.jpg
$75 walnut stock from brownells on Turk
Heartwood on the right side, and sapwood on the left.
Turk Mauser Walnut after filing and sanding 20210718_064904.jpg
After filing and sanding for an hour
Shinto saw file... Nicholson file ...80 grit .. 180 grit... 240 grit
Tru oil Turk on roof 20210718_081613.jpg
Tru oil applied and drying on roof top where it is 20 degrees warmer..where I grow peppers

·
Premium Member
15,744 Posts
Bob Brownell called them 'Kinks'.
A piece of aluminum angle iron with a hole drilled dead center the peak is a great guide for sling mount holes. Make a center punch that's a slip fit in the hole. MARK the hole first, don't punch. Sometimes the toe line is asymmetrical and 'center' don't look like it. It works great on fore ends, too even if the legs of the vee don't ride on the sides. It's just a more visible reference point

Tru-Oil and all the varnishes dries more by air flow/air exposure than heat. My drying cabinet is an old military wall locker with a light bulb in the bottom, then an air filter and then the stock hanging compartment. Air is drawn in the bottom vents by the heat of the light bulb (75watt) and vents out the top but its cleaned of dust before it flows over the stock.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Timney Mauser trigger sear mod 3  20210718_193753.jpg
Timney told me to grind off the rear of my trigger, but grinding facets on the front is what allowed the bolt to cock.
I copied the golden trigger unknown Mauser trigger shape.
1903 Turk tru oil bees wax 20210718_194127.jpg
After the True oil hardened, I had a hour with 00 steel wool to make the shiny go away.
Then I put on beeswax that made it shiny again.
I rubbed the wax with a cloth and it got less shiny.

True oil or boiled linseed oil work fine on my metal lathe making bolt handle knobs, chisel handles, or file handles.
But neither seem to be good for me with rifle stocks.

·
Premium Member
15,744 Posts
That gold-colored trigger is NOT RIGHT. The rear of the sear is angled forward. You say its' a 'set trigger', but I don't see any set mechanism. How does it set and how does it work?

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
i tried to a stock with linspeed oil(linseed oil + hardeners/ Lin-Speed Oil Finish) last year. i was about 15 or 16 coats on the stock (black walnut grade a fancy) and it just didn't pop, not to mention drying time 1 - 2 weeks). i was racking my brain on what to find on my stock, when it hit me, minwax antique oil (Minwax Antique Oil Finish | Antique Furniture Finish | Minwax ). i stripped the finish off( Home Page - Citristrip ) and i put on antique oil(4 coats). and then i did a coat of johnson's paste wax and i was done.

i should have gone another coat or two and i might try it. i take medicine cup and put in a little bit of antique oil and i dipped two finger tips in and then i start the stock. when i'm done(5 minutes top) it goes on a drying hook and i wait about 10 minutes(depends on the temperature) and then i wipe the antique oil off. then i wait 24 hours and i do the same thing.

i did the krag (6 coats) and the 93 mauser(my first stock). i have two 91 argies that need redone.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Gold Mauser set trigger 20210719_081513.jpg
Gold Mauser set trigger  20210719_081505.jpg
Gold Mauser set trigger 20210719_081536.jpg

Gold Mauser set trigger  20210719_081549.jpg

What I am calling a "Gold Mauser set trigger" is an unknown trigger that is 2 pounds normally, but half a pound if the trigger is pushed forward.

·
Premium Member
15,744 Posts
AH! I was looking at the gold anodized Timney type. IT looks to have been 'messed with'.
The pictured trigger is really neat! Simple and straightforward with a pre-set sear engagement and clearances in the problem spots. The profile of the housing suggest Paul Kenyon, but I'm surprised it isn't marked.
Notice the back of the sear is 90 degrees to the bore line when the sear is down on the trigger. That's correct for a Mauser and Springfield.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
sling swivel drill gunstock 20210720_161558.jpg
I drilled for sling studs today
260rem 1903 turk mauser Bartlein timney wiesner 20210720_202146.jpg
Ready to sight in in October.

8# 3 oz as pictured.

It is a 1903 Turkish Mauser in 260 Remington with Wiesner safety, Timney trigger, Bartlein barrel, Brownells Walnut stock, Brownells ALuma hyde II desert tan epoxy paint, limbsaver recoil pad, PAWS bottom metal, home made steel pillars, modified Weaver #45 scope base, Aluminum magazine spacer, and bolt handle TIG welded by my brother, who copied Belk's pictures 20 years ago.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts