Shooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,762 Posts
Now that's what I call a first class, outstanding article that a lot of folks will profit from. I've historically ignored the Vihtavuori line of powder due to the lack of published load data, but I'll have to get some and using the articles load data, give it a try. It will be interesting to see if the same level of performance improvement is achieved when not using a Freedom Arms revolver. I've previously found that my Ruger and Taurus .454s don't give the same velocity results as the Freedom Arms shooters typically report.

Nothing in the report that I don't agree with with the possible exception of the ability of the progressive press to load as accurately. I've experimented with the single press, competition dies, Sinclair tools for primers, etc. and my 100 yd. results haven't reflected statistically significant differences from the progressive press (for which I also used competion dies), at least not with the straight wall .44 magnums.

Dan

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,229 Posts
Very good, although I use WW296 with complete satisfaction, I do ensure that there is a LOT of case neck tension on the bullets. As noted in the article when you can see the lube grooves through the case neck you have plenty. A good tip.

·
Banned
396 Posts
Nice Work, Marshall!

Marshall Stanton said:
Comment on the Tech Notes article:

:: Getting The Most From Your .44 Magnum by Mikey Dio

Thanks and God Bless,

That's a good one Marshall. Wondering if maybe Bill could add his data on the .44 Mag in a rifle? He did some testing with the 44 Mag in a single shot Handi-Rifle following his report on Pressures in a 444 Marlin, and the performance was very impressive. Amazing what this pistol round can do with more barrel length! ;)

Thanks!

N

·
0 Posts
300gr.xtp loads at 22to23grs.H110

****,im loading my 300gr.xtp loads at 22 to 23gr. with no pressure signs,these loads are rocking and heavy recoil.H110 powder/fed.155 mag.primers,win.brass.bullets loaded at last cannelure,near,but not,to end of redhawk cylinder,heavy crimp,fine loads that are a real *** killer load,**** now i gotta get some heavy cast loads and really see whats up,beartooth loads would be great,especailly at 1500 fps with 300 gr. loads or heavier,im sure it could be achieved with this revolver,just have to see what goes...****,27grs.with H110 and a 240gr.xtp are still fine with this gun,who knows how fast these are going....just food for thought....plus,accuracy is better with the heavy stuff too..go Figure!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same Model 83 7.5" 44 magnum and am curious what your bullets were sized to to produce these results. Yes...I know I should slug, but would love to know anyway. I have fired cast bullets at .431 and seem to get good results with east to clean barrel.

·
36,229 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I'd say if you are getting good results, and no leading, then why mess with a good thing.... stick with what works!

There's no harm in trying a bit up or down, though. Best of luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
would like rifle comparison data.

I currently load for a 44 mag Ruger deerfield rifle. I currently use the Hornady 265 gr bullets and like it very much. 1-1.5 inch groups at 100 yards with a bit over 1600 fps using H110. I have heard that cast lead bullets don't work in Semiauto rifles, Comments welcome...........

I would like to try his combo out and see how it works out.

Thanks
odavid

·
36,229 Posts
You can get lead deposits in the gas ports, that is a possibility. Gas-checked bullets should be less of a problem but if it cruds up, you're in for a cleaning job.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Just found this thread...love the .44mag., so versatile, from super-light plinkers to REAL WHACKERS. Great article, very interesting. Still have about a have a pound of H110, maybe switch to N110 when it is finished.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just found this thread...love the .44mag., so versatile, from super-light plinkers to REAL WHACKERS. Great article, very interesting. Still have about a have a pound of H110, maybe switch to N110 when it is finished.
"super-light plinker loads?

can you suggest a few?

I'm new to my BH .44mag and want to start off lite and will most likley reload when I can get it all set up.

How does a .44 special compare to mag loads and how these lite loads compare to .44 specials?

·
Registered
771 Posts
I've been reloading for only 4-5yrs, so others are much better at answering this question. However, I load everything in 44mag. cases to avoid confusion and to avoid the carbon ring at the end of the case. 7gr. of Red Dot and a 240gr. bullet gives me around 750fps in a 4inch Taurus 44 with ports. It is a 34 ounce gun, I don't shoot many full house loads.(!!!!) It is my concealed carry gun. I don't need mushrooming when the hole is almost .5inch! However, I do shoot "lawyer loads" when carrying. When loading a lot of cartridges for a shooting session, I use Lee dippers. When I'm trying to get a real accurate load for one of my rifle barrels(love my T/C G2! lot's of versatility and affordable) I have a 23inch .44mag. barrel, and with high end loads you can REALLY make a 44 sing!!! I use a RCBS Rangemaster 750 scale.(worth every centavo!) Lee dippers are cheap and accurate, at least plinking accurate. There are lot.s of powders that will work, I chose Red Dot because it is useful with both the 44 and 357. The forum guys talk about Unique a lot. Be safe and shoot often!!! Me ans da' dawg leave Tues. to go goose huntin'. Venison sausage...flatulence...fermented grapes...talk iof scantily clad females...

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
"super-light plinker loads?

can you suggest a few?

I'm new to my BH .44mag and want to start off lite and will most likley reload when I can get it all set up.

How does a .44 special compare to mag loads and how these lite loads compare to .44 specials?
If you want some real light and accurate .44 loads try some 180 grain wadcutters from Penn Bullets. I use starting loads for 200 grain bullets since you seat all the lead in the case. I use "Trail Boss" powder usually, and these things punch a sharp round hole in anything short of iron targets. I've thumped a couple of jackrabbits with them and it pretty well devastates those critters. A .44 special with 250 grains of lead is pretty powerful despite the lower velocity. I've heard of them being used on elk at close range and completely passing through. Once you shoot a full-house .44 mag load with a large bullet you will be thoroughly impressed with the round. It is a killing machine way beyond what you might expect on big game. One thing I have seen repeatedly that I disagree with concerning this round is the use of the Hornady XTP bullet in hotter loadings. My experience with these is that while they are quite accurate, they shed their jackets easily. I shot some into water and the jackets peeled off quite readily. Better to stick with the tried and true hard cast with a big meplat and a sharp transition.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts