Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Marshall,

In reading your wonderful articles about the .444, I noted that you have two rifles with two different peep systems.

I would like to know which sighting system you would recommend for a fellow big bore lever shooter:  An Ashley Outdoors Ghost ring set up or a Williams fire sight set up?  I would think that the bead on the fire sight would "center" quicker than the bar used on the AO, but the AO looks more durable.  Could a fire sight post be used with an AO rear?

(Edited by Road Dog at 6:58 pm on Aug. 20, 2001)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Just my two cents but...

As a delighted AO Sights Ghost Ring user (on a Marlin 1894) I can assure you that target aquisition with the white bar front sight is VERY rapid. This applies to dim light and full sun. In many respects, it's as fast to place on target as a pistol.

AO GR sights are stone reliable, easy to set and very rugged. Moreover, they do not alter the slim lines of the rifle's receiver. They can be ordered with wide hunting or tight target apertures.

(Edited by Stranger at 10:39 pm on Aug. 19, 2001)

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
Road Dog,

I find the Ashley sights to be the very best of irons that I've had the pleasure to shoot- bar none!  In low light conditions you'll really appreciate the fine white line on that front sight, as it is as easily acquired for my eyes in low light conditions as are the crosshairs in a scope!

I find that the Williams Fire sights are bright, but almost to the point of distraction to my notion.  Too, they are such that precise shot placement is a little difficult due to the size of the sight bead.

Just a very opinionated view!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Marshall and Stranger,

Thank you for your responses.  You have both sold me.  Ashley sights it is!  

One last question;  do you prefer the fine white line (.08") on the front post or the heavier one (.10) that is offerred?

Also, what size apeture do you recommend.

Thanks

·
Registered
240 Posts
I consider my .44 mag rifle to be a 50-125 yd. gun. I wanted it to be fast handling with sights visible in all kinds of light and shadow so I opted for the the broad white bar (with the integral front sight base) and the larger hunting aperture rear (if I remember it's .230). Using that setup I still get 1.25" groups at 50 yds. from the bench with out too much strain.

I also bought the tighter target aperture but I used it once and immediately went back to the larger ring. It's just what I'm comfortable with.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts