Shooters Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I retired (naval architect naval craft) I am writing novels in which hunting, big game hunting plays a role.
My latest novel I am finishing right now plays around a girl who is fascinated by hunting. She hunts Kodiak, and the big 5 in Africa.
Now my question - are the girls in general comfortable with heavy calibers and can they shoot well?
My ex wife was a capable shooter but she hated heavy recoils (.338 - .416 - .300 WM )

Please advise

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
38,179 Posts
Started my wife with a 6mm Rem and a few dead deer and pigs are proof she can shoot. Haven't tried heavier stuff.

When I was in college, we had a trap and skeet club. A few girls would show up now and then and they didn't seem to have problems with the shotguns. Helps to be shooting standing up and at moving targets. Maybe that's how to work them up to heavier recoil?

·
Inactive account
784 Posts
Yeah they can shoot, and they are way easier to teach than guys are. Women follow instructions, and don't experiment. They just do it the same way every time, so they get consistent real fast. Guys, not so much.

My daughter can tap clays on the 50 yard berm with my 45/70 shooting offhand and delivering 525 grain cast bullets on target with open sights. That's a load that will cleanly take any animal on earth.

She has shot a number of deer, some with a 44 mag carbine, some with her 300 savage, and some with a 44 mag hand gun. She also took a caribou with that hand gun. So I gave it to her.

My wife is recoil sensitive but she's a good shot and enjoys shooting the 22 rifles when we're out, and can do a decent job with a 38 snubbie and 9mm semi-auto.

Maybe these are the type of women you're thinking of?

Good luck with your project.

Regards,

Grizz

·
Banned
604 Posts
Seems to me I recall Connie Brooks, Barnes Bullets, uses a .375 H&H with a 20" barrel in a light rifle and does a magnificient job of it.

My own wife shoots my .375 H&H, but only offhand. Won't touch it from a bench. Passable shot at 100 yards with it too. And she much prefers my .30-06.

Had an Aunt that absolutely LOVED to shoot. Little bit of a thing. When we told her the .458Win. Mag would set her back a step or two she took to it like a fish to water. Just learned not to fight the recoil but go with it. Griz is right. They are much better at following instructions than most men are. NO preconcieved notions or bad habits.

She shot and tagged a 14 point whitetail one time. The C.O. didn't believe she shot it. She told the C.O. to put his watch up on that tree and she'd show him. Glad it was only a Timex. It DIDN'T keep on ticking.

So yes, you're on the right track. They can and will. Witness Cindy Garrison. She's even got her own TV show.

·
Registered
13,142 Posts
My wife researched and ordered, all by herself, a T/C Omega muzzle-loader. With very little help (interference, she calls it) from me, she loaded and fired her first shot...and got clipped pretty good by the scope. It actually cut her a little bit and boy, did it make her MAD! She wiped the blood off, calmed down a bit and finally listened to what I was telling her about how to get a proper sight picture, so she would avoid a repeat of the first shot. Then, she fired 6 or 7 more rounds, which largely dialed the gun in. Later, she sat down and put probably 30 rounds through it, in one day, learning the gun. She's taken very good care of it and can shoot 2-3" groups at 100 yards, all day long

In fact, she got her first doe AND a nice 8-pt buck with it, this last fall. She's also quite good with a .22, has shot my 270 and will probably hunt with a 30'06, this year, if we hunt out of state. Women can shoot very well, indeed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Actually I was looking for this kind of replies. Yes Griz and Sinbad, it is about the same what the PH from Africa told me. said straightforward that when the "girls" were once comfortable with their (heavy) rifle they were in most cases better as the men.
Here in France, very few women hunt. They do, but their number is very limited due to the fact that hunting here is expensive and parnerships in the good area's (Sologne, French Alpes and Pyrenées) getting pretty scarce. Licensing is another obstacle.
Thanks for the replies and please continue.

What wonders me is that the majority of big game hunters are from the US. Here in this forum I see very little about African game. I would be interested also to learn about hunting in NM. I was there many years ago and I crossed even the path of a jaguar. Last thing I heard was that they are seldom seen anymore in the very south of the US.

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Grizz was the member I thought of when I saw this thread. My wife has shot the 35 Whelen and the 350 Remington Magnum but in general draws the line at the 356 and the 358 Winchester.
I also thought of the article from the 1948 issue of the American Rifleman: Make Mine a 375!, the article pictured a little girl from Chicago wearing a big hat, pig tails and toting a 375 H&H in Africa.
Few will remember her today but Osa Johnson carried a Winchester 1895 in 405 and she shot it well.
I am from New Mexico and the hunting is far better there today than it was when I was a kid. Unfortunately the explosive growth in population of the state has caused stratified hunting dates, heavy pressure in public hunting areas and driven the price of good hunting on private land beyond the means of the working man.

·
Registered
83 Posts
My lady is a great pistol shot and is a High Master Rifle shooter at 200 yards. In our 200 yard matches, she is usually the high shooter. She has her own Marlin 917V in 17 HMR and can whup butt on most shooters. She has her Texas CHL and she became a Corrections Officer three years ago.

Yup, she shoots pretty well!

Flash

·
Inactive for over a decade
6,248 Posts
You bet girls can shoot, Jessie Abbate, Julie Golob, and Kay Miculek are just a few of the greatest shooters in USPSA competition.

·
Super Moderator
14,133 Posts
Anyone else remember there was once someone name Annie Oakley?

In instruction I find women feel less need to try to hold a gun still by muscling it, so they don't tend to ambush the ten ring or produce a flinch nearly so badly as men seem to need to. It has long been recognized that one area in which women frequently have an easier time than men is in fine motor coordination. Isolating the motion of the trigger finger from that of other muscles in the hands or arms is an example of that.

When I was at Gunsite one time, a couple who had done an African safari hunt together showed the video they had made of the trip. He had carried a .460 G&A, while she carried a .416 Rigby, IIRC? She shot her cape buffalo firing through the tops of tall reeds, standing in a narrow punt boat. That rocked the boat enough to dump her into the water. She kept the gun over her head though; didn't let it submerge with her. That took presence of mind. And her buff died right away from that one shot taken standing in the shaky boat.

Her husband, on the other hand, wounded his and had to go looking for it in dense brush. That was pretty exciting. It took 5 rounds to stop that beast in the end (counting a final just-to-be-sure shot). He had a recovered 500 grain Hornady solid from it that had hit the skull and simply bent over in the middle at almost ninety degrees. It stayed under the skin and did not penetrate. No doubt it had struck the skull at an angle, but even so, it inspires a lot of respect for the way those animals are put together.

·
Banned
140 Posts
Since I retired (naval architect naval craft) I am writing novels in which hunting, big game hunting plays a role.
My latest novel I am finishing right now plays around a girl who is fascinated by hunting. She hunts Kodiak, and the big 5 in Africa.
Now my question - are the girls in general comfortable with heavy calibers and can they shoot well?
My ex wife was a capable shooter but she hated heavy recoils (.338 - .416 - .300 WM )

Please advise
Some of 'em can certainly shoot better than I can. :D

Check out some of the BPCR match scores and you'll see women doing well with rifles that have noticeable recoil.

Chris.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Unclenick that was a splendid reply - thanks all of you. now I am sure that the girl as being the protagonist in my new novel will not be laughed at when she fires the 338-378 Weatherby and .458 Lott

Thanks all for your very helpful replies

·
Inactive account
381 Posts
There is a father in his mid thirties with a daughter around 13 years old, that shoots at our private range. The daughter is thin and nothing boyish about her. They both shoot 50 cal BMG competition with their Barret type rifles. Last time I spoke with the father at our range, he proudly told me of their last competition match. They shoot, of course in different classes of shooters, but that he'd only beaten his daughters score that day by only a few points. Needless to say, when they show up to shoot at our range, the people there not familiar with them, are quite surprised at what they see.

·
Banned
968 Posts
> are the girls in general comfortable with heavy calibers and can they shoot well?

In high school my mother was a sharp shooter with a .22 rifle and shotgun in the 4H club, I know, because she kept her targets. She was only 5 feet one inches tall and maybe 120 pounds soaking wet back then. So I would say in general yes to heavy calibers and they can shoot well.

It will be a long time before I am as good as my mother was, of course, she grew up on a Maine farm in the summer. Maybe being a farm girl is a deciding factor and your crow rating.

·
Banned
21 Posts
My mother, 5'3/4", could outshoot my father, a WWII ex-marine, with any of his own handguns. That was fun to watch.... I agree with women being better students. They do as they're told and don't come into it with a John Wayne attitude...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Marvellous those stories, I see that American women are different in that respect. Here, the sight of a firearm makes the ladies quite nervous. Of course there are exceptions, but not that many ......

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.