Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 13 year old finally got her first deer with a handgun this afternoon. The last two years when we went out we never even saw a deer (talk about bad luck!). The deer first began coming out at 4:00PM. The problem was the does kept coming out 450+ yards to the north of us. We had five deer come out within shooting range, but they were all bucks (one buck was less than 15 yards from us). This is an anterless season here in Kansas now. All together we saw just over 40 deer (I guess we are making up for lost time). At about 5:30 we saw a group of three deer to the east of us in some CRP grass. They ever so slowly made their way to us. One was a nice buck, and the other two were does. The light was getting less by the minute, but with her 260 Remington M.O.A. Maximum with the 3-12 Burris LER (on 3x) facing East she still had good enough light transmission to make an accurate shot. The distance was lasered @ 150 yards. The deer turned a perfect broadside at this range and about 5-6 seconds later the MOA barked and the deer went down about 25-30 feet from the trail it was walking on. As we approached the deer we found another surprise. This doe was not a doe after all, but a buck that had already shed his antlers. I guess that is why they call it an "anterless season." Both of us are very happy and we are going out again tomorrow afternoon to see what action the MOA can get into. Shot placement couldn't have been better, and the 120 grain Nolser Ballistic Tip performed admirably. I don't know the MV yet, since I have not chronoed it. But it is a very accurate load. It has shot several groups under .5 @ 100 yards with my daughter doing the shooting. Oh, I am a Happy Man!
xphunter

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,454 Posts
That is a great story, especially with a handgun!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Congratulations to your daughter on her first deer, and with a PISTOL no less!! :D I have a cousin close to her age who enjoys hunting with her dad, but she has yet to get herself a deer.

:cool:Walter30-06

1 - 3 of 3 Posts