Shooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 13 year old finally got her first deer with a handgun this afternoon. The last two years when we went out we never even saw a deer (talk about bad luck!). The deer first began coming out at 4:00PM. The problem was the does kept coming out 450+ yards to the north of us. We had five deer come out within shooting range, but they were all bucks (one buck was less than 15 yards from us). This is an anterless season here in Kansas now. All together we saw just over 40 deer (I guess we are making up for lost time). At about 5:30 we saw a group of three deer to the east of us in some CRP grass. They ever so slowly made their way to us. One was a nice buck, and the other two were does. The light was getting less by the minute, but with her 260 Remington M.O.A. Maximum with the 3-12 Burris LER (on 3x) facing East she still had good enough light transmission to make an accurate shot. The distance was lasered @ 150 yards. The deer turned a perfect broadside at this range and about 5-6 seconds later the MOA barked and the deer went down about 25-30 feet from the trail it was walking on. As we approached the deer we found another surprise. This doe was not a doe after all, but a buck that had already shed his antlers. I guess that is why they call it an "anterless season." Both of us are very happy and we are going out again tomorrow afternoon to see what action the MOA can get into. Shot placement couldn't have been better, and the 120 grain Nolser Ballistic Tip performed admirably. I don't know the MV yet, since I have not chronoed it. But it is a very accurate load. It has shot several groups under .5 @ 100 yards with my daughter doing the shooting. Oh, I am a Happy Man!
xphunter

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,762 Posts
xphunter,

First, I can sure appreciate your excitement, not to mention pride. Please tell you daughter, "Congratulations!".

Secondly, I noticed that 23 individuals read this post before I did, and apparently all of them understood the relationship between a handgun and a "260 Remington M.O.A. Maximum". At my age, I'm not concerned about displaying my ignorance, so I'll ask, "Is the 260 Remington M.O.A Maximum a cartridge you used in a break action or bolt action style handgun?"

Dan

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,461 Posts
Dan,

MOA Maximum is a single-shot handgun, if I'm not mistaken it is a falling-block design (think Ruger #1/#3) with a grip that resembles a single-action revolver.

And no, they aren't common! I've only seen pictures of them.

·
7,762 Posts
Mike,

Thanks for the help. I'll have to see if I can find a picture....falling block action with single action grip style sounds very interesting.

Dan

Found a test report article with pictures on the M.O.A. Maximum at "http://www.gunweek.com/archives/2000/feature1201.html". Not very often you see a handgun that looks like a combination of a single action grip, single shot and lever action.

The report indicated it was a very accurate arrangement right out of the box. If memory serves me correctly, XPHunter posted previously about a long range handgun seminar in Nebraska, so suspect he'll be an excellent source of information on this handgun's capabilities. Hopefully he can help us out?

Dan

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is the web page for MOA
http://www.moaguns.com/
The MOA Maximum is a falling block action, therefore it can handle about anything you dare to chamber it in and it has interchangable barrels ( I have the 260 Rem. & 22-250 AI). It has an adjustable trigger and you get their own mounts for scope mounting. It does have a single action pistol grip although you can get a different grip style now. It has a very simple design, with it's only weakness is that it is slow to load and unload (not a negative for me). The MOA's will typically shoot better than we can--they have an impressive track record.
You could not use a 260 Remington safely in a Contender, but it is fine in the Encore, XP-100, or a number of actions that are strong enough for this class of cartridge. He uses Douglas barrels for all of his work if memory serves me correctly.
Kristen has been shooting since she was five and I started her dog shooting when she was 6 or 7 years old with a 221 Fireball XP-100. The first time she got behind the Fireball she was shooting at a mound ranged right at 100 yards and hit three dogs in five shots (and these were young prarie dogs-Spring time). Several men from our church went with us and they were making such a fuss over the distance that she later told me in private that she didn't understand why that was such an amazing shot. When I explained that for many people that distance was a long ways, her comment was, "Well if I thought it that important I would have pulled the trigger when the deer was just over 200 yards." I just smiled.
By the way, there may be another long range shooting seminar in Alliance Nebraska this May. I'll be there helping if it all comes together.
xphunter
xphunter

·
7,762 Posts
xphunter,

Appreciate the information. Your daughter sounds like a "chip off the ole block" as I seem to remember that part of your referenced seminar was splitting a bullet at "long distances". I don't remember the particular magazine, but during the last year, one of my subscriptions carried a rather complete run down on the seminar you attended, including pictures of the attendees. The article was very favorable to the quality of instruction offered.

I have a .223 Contender that shoots very accurately, but with my small hands, the grip isn't ideal so the single action grip will be of interest to me.

Thanks again.

Dan

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dan,
The magazine was the December issue of "The Accurate Rifle," which is a sister publication to Precision Shooting. Dave Brenan is the editor for both mags and has two excellent magazines.
Another reason the distance doesn't bother her is that she just doesn't know any different. Long for her, begins @ 250 yards. She doesn't fight the mental game that many adults have to overcome who have hunted in dark timber all their life, then prepare to go on a antelope or elk hunt in open spaces. Individuals I am referring to consider anything over a 100 yards with a rifle long range. I wouldn't let her shoot over 300 yards on a big game animal but at targets and prairie dogs, that is a different story. This spring I am going to get my 8 year old son doing some more shooting.
xphunter

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
xphunter, Congradulations to you and your daughter. Hopefully next season my youngest boy will get to go deer hunting. We did some squirrel and rabbit hunting last month in Kentucky.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Congrats to Daughter and Father!

My youngest daughter just compleated her CCW class and scored VERY well in the qualifying shoot. Well enough to leave a bunch of macho men scuffing their toes and rolling up targets before anyone could see.

I love to see these young ladies doing well behind the trigger and enjoying the shooting sports.

Scotty

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I appreciate all of your encouragement you have given my daughter. Tommorrow at the end of the day I am going to print this off for her to read--I know it will encorage her.
Thanks!
xphunter

·
Registered
23 Posts
GIRLS DAY OUT

Well it looks like ole DAD really did HIS job. Can we really do any more than pass the joy of the shooting sports on to the youngsters. Hope She was rewarded with a life time membership to the NRA- :) would be if she was my Grandaughter. WELL DONE YOUNG LADY AND THE BIGGEST OF CONGRATS TO YOU, OF COURSE :)

·
Registered
471 Posts
Give a congrats to the girl, good shooting;) Nice single shot, I'm from NH and the TC is the single shot handgun to own, well due to we are home boyz here, this is where they make them in Rodchester NH.
I like how you can bye different barrels for them also, and they have every cal under the sun. I have a good friend who has one, and for every cal I have in some configuration he has it;)
He just got the 450 Marlin barrel, I bet thats a wrist breaker :)
Take care. Aim small hit small.

·
Banned
722 Posts
XP, I hope you took pictures, memories like that deserve to be preserved! Congrats to your daughter for the good shooting, and to you for knowing how to raise children properly. My daughter's biggest ambition is to outshoot me in a pistol match. She's not there yet, but the old feller can hear those footsteps behind him.....I have new motivation for my practice sessions! :D
Papajohn

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, I took pictures and she shot another doe this past December with the same handgun @ around 80 yards. Good to hear your daughter is chasing your coat tails in shooting.

Ernie

1 - 14 of 14 Posts