Shooters Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
When I glass bedded my Rem. 700 ML I just used the dremmel tool to roughen up the stock before bedding.  No problems.  As to filling voids, the synthetic stock on the 700 has a hollow butt and was "filled" with a folded piece of pylysyrene.  It still sounded like a drum when you tapped it against anything.  I used a weatherproofing foam called "Great Stuff" and it certainly lived up to it's name.  I left the recoil pad off and filled the hollow about 2/3s full with great stuff.  Too much.  the foam expanded way past the end of the stock but no matter.  Wipe off the excess as it comes over the edge and after it quites expanding, let it set up.  Afterwards I had to do a little removal of the foam to clear the insert for the recoil pad which took about two minutes with a razor knife.  This stuff  binds nicely to the stock so you will not have to worry about compression over time, not that it would matter in your case since it will be covered by glass.  

Another trick to removing excess bedding, if you are using Acra-Glass.  Get some white vinegar and that cleans up the excess bedding very well.  Scrape off the excess with the wood spatulas as preiously mentioned and let it set up some.  Remove any excess again but there will be some tearing of the semi-hard glass, then use a Q-Tip dipped in vinegar to smooth out the glass.  The glass will still need to be pliable, sort of tacky to the touch but not sticking to your finger.  Keep the Q-Tip wetted well or the glass will stick to the cotton.  You can smooth the glass to a perfect finish with a little care.  Any glass that has gone astray on the wood or metal can be cleaned up with vinegar also without damaging either.  Just be sure to oil the metal well afterwards or the venigar can cause rust if the metal is not re-treated with some protectant.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts