Shooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new Rem 700 SPS stainless in .30-06 that shoots pretty well. I can put Core-Lokts and Fusions (165 gr) at about 1" to 1.5" for 3 shots. Once the barrel heats up at all the pattern widens to about 2". Now, let me preface my question by letting you guys know I am not a gunsmith at all and will need to have this work done for me if done at all. But my question is can you glass bed synthetic stocks and if so is there any particular product that seems to work best on those type stocks? I think my pattern opening up may be a bedding issue more than a barrel issue. I am also going to have the trigger adjusted to about 3.5-4 lbs but I am going to wait until after hunting season to do this because I have the rifle almost where I want it for now. The other question, and we discussed this on another thread in the rifle forum I think, is should bother having the barrel floated? The responses before were mixed if I recall correctly. I was one of the people who at the time thought it probably wasn't needed.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Synthetic can be bedded. I am not sure which stock you have, but the softer synthetics are harder to bed and stay bedded. If you have something like a HS precision stock, they bed nicely. The barrel should be floated. If you look at accurate bench rifles and the better made rifles like Anschutz, they are all floated. I have yet to see a bench gun wiht a bedded barrel. They want the most accurate rifle they can get so that should tell you something. It will work for a hunting rifle to be bedded all the way out the barrel. If you do have the softer stock, then maybe bedding the action and barrel would be the way to go.

One thing to watch when your shooting a gun that is not floated is where it sets on the rest, or bags. Floated rifles are the same, but not as picky. If you pay attention that yor forearm rests on the same spot shot after shot, you might see a difference in group size.

·
Registered
12,617 Posts
Thoughts. Well I've been glass bedding rifles for about 40 years now. Some of the fibreglass and kevler stocks are glass-bed friendly. Most of the cast plastic stocks such as Remington and other sell are not.

Almost all glass-bed products on the market are some sort of epoxy usually with a filler of chopped glass, glass beads or metal flakes/beads.

They do not stick well to most of the plastic materials used in modern synthetic stocks. This is part of the reason your seeing aluminum bedding blocks incorporated into some of these synthetic stocks.

Best I can say is if the accuracy of your 06 is not acceptable for your use (one to two inches are actually pretty good for a factory deer rifle) your going to need to think about restocking. This means spending some money for something more than the $89.00 plastic wonder that came with your gun.

When I ran my shop I used to use Brown precision for synthetic stocks. I understand their quality has slipped, but their are several stock makers doing quality work. Start with the folks doing benchrest stocks and work your way down. Expect to pay $300 to $500 for a good synthetic stock.

Another avenue is a laminated stock. I do have some experience with these stocks and they take well to glass bedding. Check out Boyds and my favorite Richards Micro-fit for styles. Usually Richards has 98 percent finished stocks for a little over a hundred bucks. Add a good recoil pad for 45.00, a set of sling swivels for $20.00 and I always get them inleted 1/16 inch oversize $20.00 for ease of glass-bedding and your into a stock you have to finish a couple of hundred bucks.

Probably the least expensive route would be to find a factory wood take off and glass and piller bed it.

Frankly for deer/elk/bear hunting your 06 is doing OK. There are a couple of things you can do to see if glass-bedding would even help.

First check if the barrel is free-floated. Try sliding a dollar bill down between the barrel and the stock. If your barrel is free floated it will slide down to about three inches from the action.

Often there is some forend pressure on rifles. This means that there is a pressure pad near the end of the forarm putting some upward pressure on the barrel. This pressure usually needs to be around seven pounds to be effective.

This can be hard to achieve with some of the flexible synthetic stocks.

To check if free floating will help put a credit card or two if necessary between the barrel near the action so you can slide that dollar bill down between the stock and barrel. Be sure and tighten down the action screws. Shoot it and see if it helps.

If you are still not getting the accuraccy you desire put those same credit cards between the barrel and stock near the end of the forarm, tighten down the action screws and shoot it.

This will pretty well tell the story on needing bedding.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I think that I will stick with the SPS as is with the exception of the trigger job. I am really starting to get interested in benchrest shooting though and not just hunting. What I will probably do is get another rifle that I will get very serious about accuracy. But I agree with you that my current 06 is fine for big game hunting. Where I am at all I have is whitetail and black bear so it should be just fine. And it is a very fun rifle to shoot. I really like it. I am going to take your directions for the Remington trigger job down to the only gunsmith we have in town and see what he says. Hopefully it is something he can do easily. I have no experience at all in those things and really don't trust myself doing it.

Thanks a bunch. You guys are great.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was just goofing off and found this model that I really like. It is the Accurate Innovations Golden Sporter brown laminate. What do you guys think of that model?

·
Registered
12,617 Posts
RifleFan said:
I was just goofing off and found this model that I really like. It is the Accurate Innovations Golden Sporter brown laminate. What do you guys think of that model?
I noticed that Richards now offer a bunch of 99% (almost drop in) inletted stocks and the Remington 700 is one of the models they offer this type of inletting for.

They do have some nice stock designs. I've got a nice little Rem model 7 with the 18.5 inch carbine barrel in 308 that would really look nice in a manlicher full stock.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Bob. I looked at them and like the Modern Classis brown laminate stock they have. It looked like it was only $109? That didn't seem like much. One last question. How do I locate a gunsmith? I couldn't find a good link to a network or a listing. I am in southern WV and do not have a gunsmith around. If I got this stock I would want a gunsmith to install it and do the trigger job at the same time.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
The man who builds my rifles is not far from Ashland KY., but he is in Ohio. He is not a full time gunsmith. The only thing he does is build custom rifles and specializes in the 700 actions. He has triggers that are already worked down to less than a pound. He does about the best bedding around. He even checks it with a dial indicator when he tightens and loosens the action screws to be sure it is not in a bind. He does excellant work. He can usually have it done in a week. Two at the most. Let me know if you need any more info on him.

Gismo

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Gismo. Right now I would just be interested in the trigger job and putting the stock on my 700 SPS stainless. I am actually from Huntington originally so I am very familiar with the area you spoke about. If you think he would do work like that could you send me his info via PM? I won't be looking to do any work now until after deer season is over.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
He is right across the river in Procterville. I will call him first before passing out his info. Like to get his permission. Made myself a note and will let you know. What stock are you having put on the SPS?

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Talk about coincidence my Dad was at a meeting of the Huntington gun club where he just joined and was told to use the guy in Proctorville! There is no question it is the same guy. I am either going to go with the Richards stock Bob talked about or the Accurate Innovations brown laminate. It just seems the laminate stocks have more advantages than the synthetics and I love the looks. I like the thought of my 06 in a brown laminate stock, nicely bedded and with a crisp trigger. The .30-06 is my all-time favorite and always will be so I am biased but talk about a nice rifle!

·
Banned
398 Posts
I glass beddded my 700 it has the factory plastic stock (bought in 200) it was real easy to bed ad has held up eal well so far. I use only accu glass from Brownells. I also free float every thing that I can, even my 10/22.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think I found out the real problem. My scope bases were slightly lose! Time to use the nail polish Bob. The rings were fine but the bases were a little lose. I can't believe I didn't notice it before but I noticed it clear as day when I was putting my rifle in the case to go to the range. I still am going to have the trigger work done after gun season though.

·
Registered
12,617 Posts
RifleFan said:
I think I found out the real problem. My scope bases were slightly lose! Time to use the nail polish Bob. The rings were fine but the bases were a little lose. I can't believe I didn't notice it before but I noticed it clear as day when I was putting my rifle in the case to go to the range. I still am going to have the trigger work done after gun season though.
Glad you found the problem. I've seen a bunch of that kind of thing come thru my shop. It's a real pain getting those broken screws out.

Often with loose base screws the recoil will cause the scope to tear loose from the gun breaking all the screws off flush with the action.

Some folks even apply some epoxy or superglue to the bottom of the bases along with making sure the screws are tight and applying some fingernail polish to the threads.

Be interesting to see how that effects your group sizes.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I hope to give you a report on the group sizes soon. My wife works nights (she is an RN) and we have a two year old so it just didn't work out this weekend. I am going to try and get out there one evening this week. I am confident that was the problem. It has been shooting the Core-Lokts extremely well for a factory rifle. Several times the holes were touching in three shot groups at 100. It was shooting the Fusions well also. Thanks for the discussion and I will let you know what happens.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I got back to the range and the rifle performed flawlessly. The problem with the scope bases was definately the culprit. I had several holes touching and no group larger than 1" with the Remington Core-Lokt 165 gr factory loads. I also nailed the 300 yard target almost without effort. Now let's see if I can hit something when I don't have a benchrest and sand bags. But you've got to love the .30-06!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts