Shooters Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think is the better bedding product? Miles Gilbert Bedrock or Acraglass gel? Both are fairly inexpensive so i would like to use one of these. I know Devcon makes some but they are about 4x the price. Any other products you know might help aswell.

Thanks in advance,
Jim

·
Registered
12 Posts
My first bedding job was done by a friend in the USAF Marksmanship Unit in 1973 using DevCon on a factory wood stock Rem 700 HB Varmint Rifle in .223. I had in in the gunsafe for yrs.(after probably 100K miles of riding in my Blazer over time). I pulled it out "just because" to shoot it for deer season this year (legal in AL) and with the same ammo I loaded for it in 1986 (Speer 52gr. HPBT, BLC-2, CCI-BR SR Primer) it shot a .50" five rd/ group. Nuf Said! He told me that over time they have had other beding compounds "chrystalize" on them, therefore he recommended DevCon. (Note: it is sometimes used to fix motor blocks and machained!) I have personally done about 6 guns using DevCon, just follow the recommendations about release agents/clean-up and they are all wonderful. Total cost of material for all was less than $30.00.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've used Miles Gilbert AND free floated two Rem 700's. The bullet groupings didn't change enough to warrant the hastle. If you want tighter groups, start reloading and find your "sweet cartridge". A trigger job will help too, Remingtons are easy to do yourself.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.