Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Can anyone tell me which model Glenfields were produced in the following configuration:

.35 Cal.
Pistol Grip stock
short magazine tube (1/2 or 2/3 legnth)

I'm looking for a project gun and trying to figure out which of their models may have had all 3 of these features.

Appreciate any input you might have.

Thanks,

YB

·
Registered
19 Posts
well i've never physically seen a .35 glenfld, but a model 30 or 30a are what your lookin' for. they are cheaper guns, just the wood is, just as good as a marlin. they were typically sold at the (marts) BACK IN THE DAY. i've had many many of them, some folk don't like em' but i do. what are you planning to do to one? just curious.:cool:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Izzyjoe,

I'm wanting find a gun in that configuration to cut the bbl. down to 17-18". But I want it in a .35 Rem. so I was hoping that glenfield might have made some, but from what I've been able to gather recently, it doesn't look like it.

I wanted a short mag. model because I believe I can handle the cutting and recrowning myself, but due to my almost non-existant gunsmithing skills, I wanted to avoid having to cut the dovetail under the bbl. for the mag tube retainer that would be involved if I used a full mag tube gun like the 336 C or, RC etc.

However, I did manage to pick up a >90% 336 SC today at a really good price that may be destined for the Barrel Barber Shop.

I know lots of guys cringe at the sound of that, but I don't believe in Safe Queens as I feel life is too short for us not to have and use the exact types of guns we wish, providing we have the means to.

Besides, I believe an old Marlin would be much happier in the woods than stuck in the back of a safe somewhere, even it that entails a trip to the Barrel Barber Shop before hand :).

Appreciate the input,

YB

·
Registered
19 Posts
well you could change the bolt and the barrel,and have the headspace set and have a .35. but it would be pricey. you still will have to cut a dovetail or drill/tap holes for the front sight. marlins are pretty easy to work. parts interchange easilly and are common. they are fun rifles.:cool:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts