Shooters Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1903 Springfield that I would like to keep in its collector's condition. The "no alteration" mounts that I have looked at on the net
for this rifle seem to have rather bad reviews. A friend suggested that I use the old style Weaver mounts and epoxy them to the receiver and that it was a simple matter to heat the receiver somewhat with a propane torch to remove them at a later time. Has anyone tried this method? Has anyone used a "no alteration" mount on the 03 that they were pleased with? I enjoy shooting the rifle but at my age (74) I can no longer see the sights reasonably even with the optical devises available. Just kind of wasting my reloads. :eek: Any opinions or suggestions will be appreciated..........Thanks

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,949 Posts
Yes, I've mounted several S&K Insta Mounts on both 03's and 03A3's with good results in the past. They are "no gunsmithing" mounts and work well. Google them and check out what they have.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help. I assume that the bent bolt cleared everything OK. What kind of glue did you use? I thought about J&B Weld. I think the way might be to put the scope, rings, and mounts all together and glue them on as a unit to avoid alignment problems. Is that more or less how you did it?

·
Super Moderator
13,675 Posts
The Insta Mount sights are removable and boast they will not only stay put through a lot of shooting, but will hold zero when you take them off and put them back on. No glue is involved. I believe, in the case of the '03, they work best with a bent bolt. It is the straight bolt that imposes the restriction that you use high rings to achieve clearance.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,949 Posts
Yep - the '03 mount attaches to the ladder sight frame. The '03A3 has a band around the receiver ring and also fits into the rear sight dove tail. No glueing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts