Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't understand why there all all the admonitions about not shooting lead bullets in the Glock, I know about the polygonal rifling, but I also know that friction is increased with jacketed bullets vs. lead ones. I haven't tried this myself yet but I am curious as to whether this is some kind of " urban myth"or what.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,312 Posts
Cast bullets shot fine in my G23 (.40).  Yours is a 10mm, right?  If so... load some of Marshall's 200 gr. WFNGC's and have a ball.  I never got even the smallest amount of leading.  I used Blue Dot by the way.

Don't know why people say the things they do about lead bullets in Glocks, I can only imagine that they are passing along unsubstantiated rumors.  Never have seen any documented evidence that it would be a problem, and as noted, I never had any problems.  I know another 10mm shooter who's put many a cast bullet through his glock.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,312 Posts
If cast lead bullets don't 'like' polyagonal rifling, they keep their opinions to themselves!

The type of rifling should not matter, as long as it has enough deviation from a perfect circle to be able to impart rotational force on the projectile.

To put it another way, the amout of force that the rifling can impart on a projectile is porportional to the cross-sectional area of the rifling.  In a conventional barrel, this area is basically the difference between the lands and grooves, times the number of grooves, times the length of the bearing surface of the bullet

As the lands on in a Glock barrel are rounded, my guess is simply that a whole bunch of people have looked down the barrels of their glocks, and thought, 'well, that just CAN'T work for lead bullets.'  And so the myth is continued.

A little research will show that many years ago barrel makers like Pope experiemented with about every form of rifling.  With the right dimensions they all have the potential to be accurate, but the form that won out is what was (surprise) cheapest to produce.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate the replies received re my query. Although many aspects of handgun mastery are art, the nuts and bolts of projectile launch are science, not anacdote, Thanks again.

·
Registered
37 Posts
This site is a goldmine for Glocksters-
<a href="http://glockfaq.com/reloading.htm#lead" target='_blank'>http://glockfaq.com/reloading.htm#lead</a>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts