Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working up a load for my Sharps rifle in 45-70 caliber, and using 70 grains of Goex FFg powder with Lyman's #457125 bullet, I have been able to achieve 3" 10 shot groups off the bench at 100 yards, which is not a bad starting point. I would like to shrink the group size, and it was recommended to me by a fellow shooter that I try Goex cartridge in place of FFg. Does anyone have any experience with this powder, and if so what kind of results are you able to achieve? Any info would be appreciated as I am new to the game of BPCR shooting and am looking for advice.

thanks

·
Super Moderator
9,511 Posts
It is kind of amazing how much differnce switching grades of powder can make in accuracy...considering it's all supose to be the same basic formula. Wouldn't hurt to try Ctg. grade, may be the right combination. Won't notice much difference in ballistics, Ctg. grade is about the same granulation as FFg...within 1/2 a grade.

Will notice a difference in ballistics if switching to Fg or FFFg. Fg is normally going to produce a lower MV, but it may produce good accuracy. Personally, prefer it in the 50's but not in the smaller bores. Had Fg on hand for a 10ga. and decided to try it in a 50/70..big bore, small case, so lost some velocity, but gained acuracy with 515gr. bullets (was about equal with 425gr. bullets). Tried Ctg. grade (an old lot of Goex) and noticed no real difference in velocity of accuracy in the 50/70.

Tried Fg, Ctg., FFg, and FFFg in a 45/70 (both the 50/70 and the 50/70 are original RB's) and it showed a preference for FFG.

In short...I'd just try refining the FFg load. Some variation in the folowing may just earn larger benefits:
1. Neck/bullet tension
2. Lube (both on the bullet and possible UNDER the bullet with a wad)
3. Seating depth
4. Bullet alloy
-------------
If the local shop has a can of Ctg./ grade, by all means buy it and give it a try (shipping regulations as they are, buying one can isn't economical)....but the other items listed will probably earn larger returns.

·
Super Moderator
9,511 Posts
...one of the things that happen when you order 25 pounds of powder at a time is that is's a decently long time between orders. Looked in at two sites...didn't see it...do they still make Ctg. grade Goex?

·
Banned
68 Posts
I have tried Goex Ctg powder in my 45/70 Sharps with the Lyman 457125 and with my loading method I can't get 70gr in the case without crushing the powder.

My load is 66gn Ctg with a beeswax wad over powder, a 1.2mmm grease cookie, card wad then lubed projectile. I determined this load by unloading a case and observing the beeswax wad untill it wasn't being ruptured by the powder and the grease wasn't being forced throught it.

Velocity is 1140fps with the 528gn Lyman. Recently I have been experimenting with a duplex load of 15gn FFFFG under 52gn Swiss FFG. This duplex load has boosted velocity by over 100fps and is very clean burning. Felt recoil is also noticeably higher also. I am trying to develop this load so there is no sight change required when going from 200 to 300yards on the steel sillhouettes.

Projectiles are shot as cast only finger lubed with SPG. Best 100x10shot was 1.2" with 8 into 0.78". Average 10 shot groups would be 1.75 up to 2.0" on a bad day.

·
Beartooth Regular
7,768 Posts
Hi, Gents:
Looks like Goex Cartridge is still in production. I picked up a couple of things off the BP-L (Yahoo groups black powder list). Goex had serious start-up problems in their new Louisiana plant, to put it mildly, and the lots of Cartridge made before 2002 weren't the best. Plus quite a few .45-70 shooters are having very good results with Swiss 1 1/2F powder.
http://www.goexpowder.com/black-powder.html

Bye
Jack

·
Registered
121 Posts
Well I had an awakening experience This weekend...

I Shot my Shiloh in 45/70 at 200 yards for the first time. I use 30:1 cast 405 gr Winchester mould and 65g Fg Goex powder and Winchester Magnum primers.

Once I got on paper and found my tang site settings, then I shot a group. 3 shots within 1.5". Needless to say I was real happy. Then I shot again, 3 hole group at 1.5" BUT-the groupd was about 4" to the right of the last group. :confused:

OK, I did something wrong.... Put up a new target and shot again. The rest of the day it just got worse and worse. Bullets everywhere. It was quite hot outside and maybe there was a little wind going, but it should not be that far off.

I shoot two groups of 5 rounds and then reload and clean the bore. This is the pattern all day so that I have a clean, cool bore with the first shots so I know what to expect out in the field.

At this point, I do not know how much of the grouping was me Vs. the laod. I got work to do! ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
quaticman said:
I am working up a load for my Sharps rifle in 45-70 caliber, and using 70 grains of Goex FFg powder with Lyman's #457125 bullet, I have been able to achieve 3" 10 shot groups off the bench at 100 yards, which is not a bad starting point. I would like to shrink the group size, and it was recommended to me by a fellow shooter that I try Goex cartridge in place of FFg. Does anyone have any experience with this powder, and if so what kind of results are you able to achieve? Any info would be appreciated as I am new to the game of BPCR shooting and am looking for advice.

thanks
I use a fair amount of GOEX in CTG grade. Here are a few tips that might help.
1. back off the load 10 grns. I suspect you are compressing it way too much.
2. Use an .030 fiber over-powder wad
3. Use your cast bullets as cast at .459
4. Use a 1-20 tin/lead mix. No antimony at all
5. use SPG bullet lube
6. use a separate compression die. set for no more than .015" compression
7. Sift the powder through a standard kitchen strainer (30 mesh) to remove the fines (powdered kernals)
8. Use Federal 215 mag primers

After years of trying everything under the sun, this is what i settled on and it works. I can get MOA with my Sharps replica 45-90 at 200 yards. It's a hassle true, but it will give consistant results.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts