Shooters Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, newbie to casting here.

I've been reloading for 15 years but am just now taking up casting. I'm using a propane burner (turkey fryer) and an iron skillet to clean metal and make it into ingots for casting with an electric furnace later. The metal is range scrap from a local indoor pistol range. I know this probably isn't the best metal but for what it costs me ($0.00), I'll use it for low velocity handgun rounds and save the wheelweights for the rifles later. My question is, when I melt the metal and skim off all the junk (jackets etc.), then flux the metal, a sort of yellowish gold colored scum forms on top of the lead. What is this? Is it junk to be discarded or ingrediaents to be mixed back in? Also would a different flux make a difference? I'm currently using candle wax, and I have Lyman bullet lube available to flux with. Any help or input is appreciated.

SSB

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guys,

Thanks for the replies. I turned my burner down tonight and processed 25lbs of metal. It seemed to help. I'm gonna get a thermometer this weekend and continue my experiments with the temp. I'm also gonna try the sawdust fluxing.

Any idea what temp I should be shooting for?

I'm thinking I may eventually mix this lead (since I have hundreds of lbs of it) with wheelweights to harden it before making bullets out of it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts