Shooters Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Inactive account
Joined
·
7,768 Posts
Hi, SSB:
That yellow scum is likely lead oxide. If so, it's unhealthy for you. Some of it's likely already in your range scrap, but you'll make more if you overheat the melt. So turn the heat down as soon as your lead melts and just keep it fluid. Overheating will burn off your tin too. Check out this article and the others by Mr. Fryxell.
http://www.sixguns.com/crew/simplefluxing.htm
I find that wax is OK for flushing the dross off wheelweight clips and fluxing the dross off already clean metal, but it burns off too fast to do a good job of reducing the metal oxides. A half inch of sawdust takes about 15 minutes to burn off and does a much better job.

If you can't flux off the yellow scum, dispose of it safely.

Bye
Jack
 
1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Top