Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm searching for good .223 rifle...any advice will be highly appreciated.

My budget for my next rifle is around $500, in your opinion what would be the best .223 I could get?

So far I've been looking at...

H&R Handi Rifle-great price, nice rifle but single shot-I don't like single shot.

Remington 700 HB-some people love them others..not so much...

CZ527 American-more than $500 but looks nice.

Savage Steven 200- I like the price but looks cheap (at least in my opinion).

Rossi HB single shot-the cheapest of all..$199 but single shot..

I'm planning on target shooting..no hunting..

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I would get a Savage of some kind I think. I have a Stevens 200 and it is a great shooter. I got it new for $199. They are a lot higher now I think. How much are they now compared to a standard Savage sporter?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Go with a Savage that has the Accurtrigger and you won't be sorry. The Stevens will be great too, just won't have the adjustable accutrigger. I've had very positive results with the Savage model 11. Has a Simmons Atec 3.5-12x44 scope on it and Harris bipod. All together have less than the mentioned $500 in the rig.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Go with a Savage that has the Accurtrigger and you won't be sorry. The Stevens will be great too, just won't have the adjustable accutrigger. I've had very positive results with the Savage model 11. Has a Simmons Atec 3.5-12x44 scope on it and Harris bipod. All together have less than the mentioned $500 in the rig.
It depends on what kind of trigger you like. I am not a big accu-trigger fan. Any good gunsmith can hone the original Savage style trigger sear to be crisp and smooth and break at around 3 1/2 pounds safely. Either way you go with the Savage's, they just seem to really have barrel making figured out both in terms of accuracy and affordability.

The CZ style trigger is pretty cool I have to admit.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Just more money against that 500 that he mentioned.
I guess it depends on your smith. I did mine myself, but I a few others I have had done be a benchrest quality smith ran me $25.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I guess it depends on your smith. I did mine myself, but I a few others I have had done be a benchrest quality smith ran me $25.
I'm just jealous of your non accutrigger model!

Seriously, a good trigger helps with rifles ability to shoot good vs great. But for the money, I'm still saying Savage.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I'm just jealous of your non accutrigger model!

Seriously, a good trigger helps with rifles ability to shoot good vs great. But for the money, I'm still saying Savage.
Yeah, Savage no doubt (which the Stevens is for anyone who doesn't know). I have no reason to "not" like the accutrigger other than it just seems like something that might not function as well if exposed to mud, or moisture + freezing cold.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I have the Savage with the accutrigger, and it shoots fantastically. However, I wouldn't buy a second one, just because the gun is so cheaply made. I hate the plastic follower in the magazine, the mold marks in the stock, and the general fit and finish of the whole thing. I like to regard guns as machine-works of art, and this one ain't that. I have shot the .223 in the CZ actions, and liked it alot.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Not counting my ARs and Mini-14s, one of my favorite shooters in .223 is my Ruger No. 1V in .223, but, yes, SINGLE-SHOT... :)

If you have selected the .223 for ammunition selection, just please keep in mind that most sporting-type rifles chambered in .223 are not designed to be used with military surplus 5.56mm NATO ammo.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
For the price range you're looking at, and if you ever just want a rifle that shoots accurately, with no fuss, you almost can't beat the Savage. Personally, I enjoy single-shots but unless you spend more money on customizing the H&R, they generally won't shoot with a good bolt-gun, like the Savage, so that makes the choice fairly simple.

Another thing to keep in mind about modern bolt-action rifles is that very few of them get shot a whole lot, so there are a bunch of good used guns on the market. Some guys will buy a .223 and then decide they really want a 22/250 or .243, instead, and sell the .223 for a much more affordable price, so don't overlook that option.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Personally, I would put rifle first as opposed to a price. I would rather save longer for what I really wanted than settle. I agree with your assessment of Savage/Stevens, I don't care for them either but the price range and caliber severely limits choices.
I believe Howa has a model in the $400 range. The Weatherby Vanguard synthetic can be picked up for under 5 bills. My pick would be a Thompson Center Venture. The T/Cs are slick little shooters, good triggers and the integral Weaver style base will save you a few bucks as well.
Can rule out Marlin and Mooseberg, I didn't think they offer anything in .223.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,720 Posts
I'd buy the CZ in a second. Save up!

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
CZ - you won't regret it (other than they are habit forming)
I have to agree. My CZ 527 American in .223 (not heavy barrel) shot .5" with the first 55gr SP load I tried. Some may like the Savage accu-trigger, but I'm a serious fan of CZ's single set trigger. It's owner adjustable in both the set and standard modes. I also have two CZ 550s with that type trigger and it's excellent both at the range and hunting.

·
Premium Member
2,773 Posts
I'd go used.
I found a Remington 700 Classic in 223 Rem and bought it for $450.00. Looked out of box new and shoots great. With this economy, there are some deals out there.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts