Shooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Beartooth Regular
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This offering from Charles "Skeeter" Skelton is a classic. No outdoor enthusiast, law enforcement personnel or handgunner should be without this one. Published in 1988 by PJS Publications, Inc., Skeeter takes us through his childhood in the arid country of south Texas, through his law enforcement career along the border and a few forays down in Mexico. Lots of colorful characters, Joe his childhood chum, Dobe Grant the hard as nails retired Border Patrol officer, and Jug Johnson.

If you haven't got this book, get it. 10 out of 10.

Attachments

·
Banned
65 Posts
alyeska338:
I agree 100%. In addition, Skeeter's other book, "Hoglegs, Hipshots & Jalapenos", is equally enjoyable. It was published in 1991 by the same people. I lived only about 50 miles from Skeeter when he was alive, but didn't know it until after he passed on. I wish I could have met him, he was, and still is, my favorite gun writer.

·
Banned
116 Posts
Skeeter Skelton

Both of you are right,those two books are great.You might also want to read "I Remember Skeeter" which was compiled by his wife. Sally Jim Skelton.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
TAP,
I've read, and re-read, the two Skeeter books. I kind of grew up with his stories. Great books, both of them. Just be a little careful using his .32Mag data in those books :) Is the book by his wife the same caliber as the other two?

·
Banned
116 Posts
Skeeter Book

You will find kciH that"I Remember Skeeter" is good reading also.It has stories submitted by his various friends and their thoughts on the man himself.There are also some great pictures of Skeeter and friends from his younger days on.If you enjoyed his writings as much as I did you will enjoy this book and it will be worth your while I think.

·
Beartooth Regular
1,116 Posts
Shooting Times hasn't been the same since Skeeter's passing. I have "Good Friends..." and agree it is a great read for the firearms enthusiast.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Good Guns, Good Friends, Good Whiskey

Had a little time over Christmas and reread portions of this book by Skeeter Skelton. The man was a fine writer. I guess I really didn't realize how good he was until just a few days ago. He could turn a phrase better than any gun writer today in my opinion.

·
Registered
6,648 Posts
I thought you were kidding! I just had a look around.
These books are way over valued. The content is god but the books should not be rare.
If the edition is sold out there is obvious demand for a second edition. We need to be careful not to over pay – there are other more desirable books.

Go for an interlibrary loan.

·
Banned
507 Posts
A book about three of my favorites! LOL

·
Banned
426 Posts
Searching the used books stores this week, I'll have to add these to the lists.

·
Registered
6,648 Posts
I have to admit that "Skeeter's Cow Killer Loads" and the story of him throwing the beer bottle into the air and missing are two stories worth reading.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts