Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the title explains it all. Are there any good magazines to subscribe too that enlighten me on hunting, shooting, reloading, or just guns in general?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I would recommend internet subscription to Wolfe Publishing - Handloader and Rifle and Successful Hunter. You get six of each for total of 18 magazines for $19.95 per year. Handloader is worth the price all alone. Obviously Rifle covers rifles and Handloader will cover handguns and rifles. I also subscribe to Load Data which I really like which costs $29.99 - So for about $50.00 per year - $4.17 per month you "get it all" and if you go to online sites for Guns and Ammo and Shooting Times for free, there is nothing else a dedicated shooter/reloader could possibly want.

·
Banned
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the info man, ill start my sub to thm alittle later in the coming months.

·
Banned
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah my dad has toyed with the idea of joining the NRA but hes been too busy to join, ill bring the idea up with him next time i get to talk to him

·
Banned
507 Posts
I get the Rifleman and the Hunter from the NRA, my only other regular magazine is Handloader. Handloader is well worth the price. I gets Guns and Ammo now and then, but I avoid all of those magazine like the Best Tactical Weapons and similar at the news stand.

Another sort of one the subject is the Backwoodsman, lots of useful information.

Jerry

·
Registered
473 Posts
go to online sites for Guns and Ammo and Shooting Times for free, there is nothing else a dedicated shooter/reloader could possibly want.
Do you have a link for these?

Thank You
Michael Grace

·
Registered
11,966 Posts
Just another suggestion, you might want to check out the Varmint Hunter magazine. It has many articles on accuracy, handloading, rifle building, long range shooting, hunting and product reviews... all very well thought out and written. The product reviews seem to be honest evaluations of the equipment used. Here's the link to the site http://www.varminthunter.org/

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Yes, Varmint Hunter and Predator Extreme are two magazines we always look for. We don’t always buy them but we always give a good looking over.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Best reloading editor ever !

Shooting Times used to be a great magazine,then they fired Rick Jamison,the best reloading editor in the business,after he sued Winchester for reneging on an agreement to use his idea for "Short,Fat cartridges.

http://www.websupp.org/data/DOR/3:03-cv-01036-525-DOR.pdf

here's one patent:

http://www.google.com/patents/about?id=6SgQAAAAEBAJ&dq=jamison+cartridge

Rick had many patents:
Listed below are many of Jamison’s patents. In parenthesis are the filing and granting dates for the patent.

6,678,983: Ultra-short-action firearm for high-power firearm cartridge (February 21, 2003 - January 20, 2004)
6,675,717: Ultra-short high-power firearm cartridge (February 21, 2003 - January 13, 2004)
6,595,138: High-power firearm cartridge (April 4, 2002 - July 22, 2003)
6,550,174: Short-action firearm for high-power firearm cartridge (November 13, 2001 - April 22, 2003)
6,397,718: Device for reducing the eccentricity and non-uniformities among cartridge cases (May 11, 2000 - June 4, 2002)
6,354,221: High-power firearm cartridge (July 29, 1999 - March 12, 2002)
5,970,879: High-power firearm cartridge for short-action chamber and bolt assembly (April 17, 1998 - October 26, 1999)
5,826,361: Short-action chamber and bolt assembly for high power firearm cartridge (March 17, 1997 - October 27, 1998)
5,531,113: Ballistics measuring system (September 22, 1994 - July 2, 1996)
5,357,796: Ballistics measuring system (October 1, 1993 - October 25, 1994)

·
Banned
397 Posts
I get the "Handgunner".
"Rifle"
"Handloader
"American Rifleman"
"Hunter"
They keep me fairly busy and in the "know" so to speak.

Zeke

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
The only one I find I care about consistently and read cover-to-cover is Precision Shooting Magazine. With all others I find I pick out certain articles and skip others. A large part of that is because many tend to recycle subject matter about every two years, apparently to appeal to beginners who missed their last ".45 vs 9 mm Shootout" issue. So, I feel like I pay them more than once for the same thing. Precision Shooting has some articles with technical depth that is missing from other publications. It started as a benchrest oriented magazine, but has spread its coverage much more broadly over the last couple of decades. Highly recommended for anyone with an interest in rifle accuracy.

Precision Shooting Magazine also addresses a pet peeve of mine, which is that I hate having to turn through a lot of unnumbered advertising pages at the back of a magazine to find the end of an article. PS articles are laid out contiguously, start to finish.

I also keep a membership in the American Gunsmithing Association. The American Gunsmith magazine comes with that membership. I can't say I read it cover-to-cover, as not every detail is of immediate interest, but I keep the issues in ring binder to serve as reference information. I see it as worth collecting for the information on how to take down, service, and modify different models of guns.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have a big collection of Precision Shooting magazine but I think the quality of their articles has dropped off significantly in the last couple years.
I miss Bill Calfee and Dickie Wright!

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,730 Posts
I've read a few Precision Shooting magazines. Great stuff. One of these days maybe I'll luck into a 20 or 30 year collection of them for sale? Should keep me out of the bars for a long, long time...

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
the title explains it all. Are there any good magazines to subscribe too that enlighten me on hunting, shooting, reloading, or just guns in general?
I'D GET Handloader. Specifically #266 june 2010. There is a question asked to and answered by Brian Pearce by a member of this forum. And he didn't call me an idiot ! Whoops , did I say that?;)

·
Registered
312 Posts
atb1012,

The best way to get the infomation is to join the NRA. My late dad was a life member and he bought life memberships for my son, myself and himself. The Rifleman and American Hunter magazines are outstanding.

Since you have access to a computer magazines and all print media are becoming less important anyway. The NRA membership will insure your freedom and ours.

You can get magazines from libraries and at gun clubs free as well. Some magazines are here on the net as articles as well.

http://membership.nrahq.org/

·
Registered
95 Posts
atb1012,

The best way to get the infomation is to join the NRA. My late dad was a life member and he bought life memberships for my son, myself and himself. The Rifleman and American Hunter magazines are outstanding.

Since you have access to a computer magazines and all print media are becoming less important anyway. The NRA membership will insure your freedom and ours.

You can get magazines from libraries and at gun clubs free as well. Some magazines are here on the net as articles as well.

http://membership.nrahq.org/
Second that! the only mag I get is the "Rifleman" (life member).Too much good info on the net to bother with the lame publications on the market now.Saves money,too!;)

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Ones I recommend:
NRA American Rifleman
NRA American Hunter
Handloader
Rifle
Gun Test-tentative recommendation sometimes they show they do not have the ability to really test the product being tested and fail an item when it is clear the fault was user error.
Double Gun Journal-my all time favorite.
North American Hunting Club. Ok but if it were not free I would not pay to subscribe to it.

Shotgun News,
Gun Digest, formerly Gun List
Both are OK but I buy off the shelf and do not subscribe any more. I really don't need them several times a month.

Ones I absolutely hate;
Guns and Ammo
Shooting Times.
Both the above over the last 20 years have become nothing but ads for whoever is advertising in their magazine at the time. They have never met a gun they didn't gush over and how can you take a review seriously when opposite the review is a full page color ad for the very item they are reviewing. IMO, save your money on these two.

·
Banned
426 Posts
I get the "Handgunner".
"Rifle"
"Handloader
"American Rifleman"
"Hunter"
They keep me fairly busy and in the "know" so to speak.

Zeke
I really like Rifle and Handloader, too the others are good aswell.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts