Shooters Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Inactive account
4,735 Posts
50/50 bar solder, 60/40 radiater solder, babbit bearing material, etc. You will have to adjust your lead:tin ratio some but you do not have to be spot on to make good bullets. There are also sellers like MidwayUSA and eBay that offer alloyed casting metal as well as tin. Also, check out your local metals dealers/recycle yards. Hope this helps.

·
Inactive account
1,208 Posts
i use silviabrite brand solder then i am not upping my lead ratio just tin for harder bullets i am also a plumber that helps with being able to get it easy about $12 per 1 pound roll

·
Super Moderator
14,172 Posts
Mjyeagle is correct. The modern lead-free solders cost more, but they are about 95% tin, so you get more of what you pay for. The balance of metals in these solders include metals like bismuth, copper, selenium, and, if you are really lucky, silver (which helps mold fill-out even more than the tin does). I've heard that some lead-free solders exist that include zinc, which you would want to avoid like the plague, but I've not seen it in plumbing solder yet. Since it raises surface tension, I should think zinc would interfere with wetting and not be suitable for plumbing, but keep an eye peeled anyway. Pick your product and get its MSDS before you buy, and it will tell you.

The Antimony Man has tin on his price sheet, here.

·
Banned
64 Posts
Something that was in "wiped joints' years ago just RUINS casting alloy. I tried mixing the first batch into larger and larger batches, hoping to dilute it, but I had to throw away the entire mess. Dunno what it was, zinc or something, I guess. it made the bullets both frosted as if overheated, and wrinkled/folded/unfilled as if too cold.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.