Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 12" 357 max and am looking for a good starting load for H100, Lil Gun, or Reloader 7 for 180 gr gas checked lead bullets.

None of my manuals have info for that weight of lead bullet. Haven't checked the latest Lyman manual, but that wt is not mentioned in Lyman 47.

Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
I just checked the 49th edition of the Lyman manual and there is no 180gr GC load there, either. If your bullets happen to be from BTB, I'm sure Marshall can get you pointed in the right direction. Another guy who might be able to help is David White, of D&T gunsmithing. He's done a lot of work with the 357Max.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tips.

On another bb two posters suggested that loads for jacketed bullets will work for cast bullets, but not the other way around. On the other hand a third poster said I should reduce the jacketed bullet load by 5% and work up the load from there.

Would be nice to hear from a "been there, done that" individual, but my request for info hasn't been out there that long. The contacts you suggest are likely to be the most productive avenues. I appreciate your assistance.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,670 Posts
You do have to work up. There are a lot of variations in bullet alloys, lubes, gas check vs. non-gas check, and last and very significantly, the cast bullets *may* take up significantly less room in the case.

These things can all affect pressure quite a bit. But generally speaking, with good hard cast bullets that have a long nose, I start with the usual jacketed bullet data and work up.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Had my first session at the range with 180 gr bullets--lead GC's and XTP's over H110..

Very nice session. The loads at the lower end of the suggested range were pleasant to shoot, while those at the upper end were starting to annoy my wrist right at the junction w/ my forearm. May have to look at my form and see if I can fix that.

I've gotten some advice to load w/o crimp in the Contender for this cartridge and advice for proper combustion of H110 sez, good crimp. So I did both with little difference between spread on paper between the two. I don't have a crony, so I don't know how ft/sec worked between the two methods.

All loads extracted easily and I didn't load any at the max listed.

Pb rounds started at 17.5 and went up to 20.5gr. On sand bags at 50 yds...I'd happily take a shot at a deer standing still, broad side.

Next session will be off the sand bags to see how I do under hunting conditions, but that was a fun first outing w/ 357 Max.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts