Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking at getting myself a good conceal carry pistol, im looking at either a 380 by either ruger or s&w, or even something as small as a derringer, i have a 1911 i carry on duty but its too big for conceal carry, ive tried it lol. It doesn't work for someone my size. I'm all about energy transfer (stopping power) so 38 is probably as small as i'll go, and i'm not looking for a "wilson combat" lol... Just looking for an reasonably priced pistol, even a revolver. Something small, light and easy to conceal. Any ideas? I would like to only spend about 3-600.00
thanks

·
Registered
11,948 Posts
I'd consider a Ruger Compact Revolver. A buddy just bought one in .357. I haven't fired it yet but expect it to be quite snappy with full power loads considering how light it is.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I would agree with a small 357 revolver. You can also run 38 specials thru it.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I went with the Glock 29. Very accurate and my wife likes shooting it and doesn't mind carrying it and I also use it when I want a consealed carry weapon.

·
Registered
579 Posts
The 10 Oz 337PD in 38 special carries well in a pocket holster. Big difference over the M60 at 16 Oz for every day carry.

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,256 Posts
I have several J frame sized 38s that I use for concealed carry when I can't carry something larger. This size gun provides ample stopping power and can be carried in your pants or jacket pocket. This sized gun is made by several companies at different price ranges. I have fired several of this size gun in 357 mag and the recoil was horrendous. A 38 J frame in one pocket and a couple of speed strips in the other keeps you prepared for the worst.

Attachments

·
Registered
325 Posts
I have a Ruger SP101 in .357 w/4in barrel,I don't consider it a "carry" gun simply for the weight. I put a set of Houge grips on it and it really is nice to shoot full on .357 loads now,but it also increased the size. If I was going to buy a carry gun it would probably be a Smith & Wesson air weight or something similar in .38 special,.38 has been doing the job a long time.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
You might also consider the Colt Mustang or Government Model .380s that have similar controls as the 1911. Isn't the .380 roughly comparable to the .38 Special in effectiveness?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks, I've been thinking about the 380 small frame auto pistols, like s&w or ruger, but ill look into 357 also, but the .38 special air wieght sounds like what i had in mind, thank you for all ur input

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,256 Posts
One consideration when purchasing a POCKET gun is that a hammerless revolver can be fired from inside a coat pocket without a problem but a semi auto will malfunction due to interference with the slide. I have been known to carry a 637 (hammer model) in my waistband and a 642 (hammerless model) in my coat pocket. The New York reload (second gun) is a lot quicker than a standard reload.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
No.It is not.
According to Winchester's data, their 95 gr Supreme SXT .380 from a 3.75" barrel has 955 MV and 192 ft lb muzzle energy, while their 110 gr Super-X Silvertip Hollow Point from a 4" vented barrel has 945 MV and 218 ft lb muzzle energy. That sure seems comparable to me.

According to "Street Stoppers", one shot stops with the standard .38 specials from a 2" barrel (Win 110 gr ST, Fed 158 gr SWC and Fed 158 gr RNL) was about 50% in 577 shootings (the 110 gr bullets were actually 2% higher than the 158 gr bullets). I could not find data for the .380, but would expect them to be similar based on the similarity of bullet weight, velocity and energy. Interestingly the 158 gr bullets had similar performance in 734 shootings from a 4" barrel. Using +P ammo in the .38 special did raise the % one shot stops about 15% in the 2" barrel, but are they suitable in a lightweight pocket gun? The author emphasizes that the performance on the street is not well predicted by performance in gelatin.

Where is your data indicating a significant performance difference between the .380 and the standard .38 Special?

·
Registered
325 Posts
I could not find data for the .380, but would expect them to be similar based on the similarity of bullet weight, velocity and energy.

So.....you didn't find anything?????

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
I could not find data for the .380, but would expect them to be similar based on the similarity of bullet weight, velocity and energy.

So.....you didn't find anything?????
After a bullet leaves the barrel of a gun it doesn't remember from what cartridge it originated. Reread my first paragraph again re the almost identical bullet weight, bullet diameter, bullet velocity and bullet energy. The data from the 110 gr .38 Special is applicable to the .380. Simple logic.

·
Registered
484 Posts
A 9mm would fit the bill here. I carry either an SR9C or the new LC9. The 9c works great for general carry when I wear my work clothes and even in a t shirt. The LC9, the big brother to the LCP, is for more dressy occasions when a coat is worn or in hotter weather when lighter clothing is the norm. The LCP is now relegated to dress shirt and pants carry. The bullet diameter is the same but I would rather be shooting a 9mm rather than the .380. But in pinch either would work.

Capacity in the 9C, 10 or 17 +1. in the LC9 7+1. LCP 6+1

·
Banned
1,668 Posts
JOHNBOY,

You say you carry a 1911 on duty, but it is too hard to conceal. I have carried a 1911 concealed since 1971 and no one ever noticed I was carrying. I shove the 1911 in my waist band on my weak (left) side and go about my business. I agree, most holsters will show you are carrying a 1911, so dispense with the holster. A 1911 lies FLATER than any revolver. Try it sans a holster.

Webley

·
Registered
979 Posts
Both the Ruger pistols in .380 and 9 mm are barely bigger then the Beretta Bobcat 21a .22LR, I have matched them up on top of each other.

FWIW: In the state of Georgia a concealed gun has to have a holster.

<style type="text/css"> <!-- @page { margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } --> </style> Georgia Code - Crimes and Offenses - Title 16, Section 16-11-126

(c) This Code section shall not permit, outside of his or her home, motor vehicle, or place of business, the concealed carrying of a pistol, revolver, or concealable firearm by any person unless that person has on his or her person a valid license issued under Code Section 16-11-129 and the pistol, revolver, or firearm may only be carried in a shoulder holster, waist belt holster, any other holster, hipgrip, or any other similar device, in which event the weapon may be concealed by the person´s clothing, or a handbag, purse, attache case, briefcase, or other closed container. Carrying on the person in a concealed manner other than as provided in this subsection shall not be permitted and shall be a violation of this Code section.

·
Registered
439 Posts
A good carry handgun

22 Winchester Magnum or 45 Long Colt are my own choices because the 22 Mag can blow the guts out of almost anything and the 45 Long Colt is still the best manstopper after 139 years and counting.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts