Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pheasant hunting has been sssslllloooowwwww in Southern Iowa. Anybody having any luck in your area?

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,917 Posts
G&F tried stocking some here about 25-30 years ago, but didn't work out. Between the heat, drought and coyotes, they fizzled. Used to see the odd one near the irrigated citrus groves years ago, however, even those are now gone.

Several people have tried raising and releasing them on private preserves for hunting - that hasn't panned out very well, either.

Used to hunt the dickens out of them in western Okla. and Kansas, though.

·
Premium Member
7,591 Posts
None at my elevation, and been probably 5 years since I've shot one elsewhere in Idaho. I chase the chukars here, although the weather hasn't concentrated them at all yet so I go for armed hikes. Good luck.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Armed hikes is it for me too... I've knocked a couple of big turkeys out of the sky but I haven't recovered one yet, they are very tough birds.

·
Banned
421 Posts
They stock some every year in southern Maine. I bought a stamp, but due to health issues I never got out. I saw on the news where about 1/2 of them had to be destroyed anyway because they had that bird flu, I forget the name.
I did get out one day with a friend and we shot a few grouse.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,100 Posts
No pheasants, just turkeys. Reminds me that I need to get out and whack a few before the fall season is over :)

·
Banned
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Finally connected on 2 birds. They are part of the 4 that I have seen taken this year and all are from different hunts.

It has been slow for pheasants this year, but the DNR addressed the PF state banquet last year with the success on reintroduction of the bobcat into Iowa.

Seriously concerned about the next few years for our birds. My hunting pardner and I have experienced dogs and the cover seems good. Just too many empty areas. Yesterday we trudged through the DEEP snow for about 6hr and I saw 3 roosters.(my experienced dog bumped tehm about 100yds ahead of me)

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,917 Posts
Man - if it isn't one thing, its another, isn't it?

Thought the wet spring and summer might have played a role in the nesting in your area, also.

·
Banned
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yup, I do believe it has.

One interesting thing is that we have several immature bald eagles hanging around the area this year. Kicked one off my deer last year when I went back to put him in the truck.

I had a great local hole to shoot some Malards and went back to make sure that they were still ther before a friend made the trip to hunt. Never saw a green head. Couldn't place the BIG hawk setting in the tree on the N. side of the marsh until he took to the air. When he did, even the coots dispersed. I stayed in the water long enough to see what the end result was and the coots stayed hidden for over 1/2 hour.

Did find a bunch of woodies. What a great time it was to sit along the bank of a small wooded pond and pick them off. Really surprised myself with al the "unexpected" misses. Never had to deal with them coming down straight from the sky. Finally got smart and let them land and flushed them.

Heard rumors that there will be a new stick and string record buck taken about 4 miles from my house. I heard the story too many times to completely discount it. Have not seen the green score, but a hunting pal said it was "well over" the previaous score. More to follow after I validate this.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have some reliable reports from Kansas.

I usually hunt in south-central Kansas (southeast of Hutchinson) over Thanksgiving week. Didn't make it this year--broke my leg--but I might have cancelled the trip anyway. We had to put down my older setter three weeks ago. He wouldn't have been able to make the trip and even though we have another good setter, I think I might have been too heartbroken to go without him. Well, there's always next year.

Anyway . . .

My friends made the trip and they got into a lot of birds--pheasant and bobwhite both.

I had coffee with another reliable hunting friend this week. She hunted western Kansas just before Christmas with her dad and they also found lots of birds.

If I were traveling for pheasant this year, I'd try central to western Kansas.

Good luck!

·
Banned
107 Posts
Had been having a pretty good pheasant year here in SW ND up untill our Christmas day blizzard. That storm pretty much shut down bird hunting for the rest of the season.:(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts